logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
neato23  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 14, 2024 6:58:55 AM(UTC)
neato23

Groups: Registered
United States

For a little backstory, we're a niche streaming group that streams sporting events.

traditionally, we've always done our workflow on site with hardware everything (switchers, audio, encoders, etc)

We're in the process of building out an SRT/IP based workflow because it'll enable us to expand beyond a day's drive. (we used to do event in NYC and it was pretty close to a 24 hours day given drive time and all for me... not practical or fun)

This all brings me to a call I got earlier. One of our clients we regularly work with is going to Asia for an event. We'd like to do the production work and believe we've got everything in place to do this production. It's rather short notice in my opinion but that's kind of the story with this client... everything is short notice.

So that got me thinking and worrying about things a bit.

Some immediate concerns are internet stability and latency. We're building remote with a physical machine at my home office used for production (vMix). Coming from Asia it might be, eh sketchy, maybe.

A few other concerns I had were:

Our LTE backup, I'd need to get an eSim for our router (We run Peplink for failover protection)
Latency as discussed above
Reliability of the internet
Communication with camera operators and language barrier (we do use an intercom over the internet as well)

My plan would be to send the equipment as a carry on (our ingest equipment, so encoders, small laptop, audio interface for our on-air commentary talent), or ship it. Then find 2 local camera operators (we already have a source for this) to do the on-site side of things.

It should be fairly simple to get setup: plugin cameras, plugin internet to the venue, connect laptop and audio interface and pretty much go.

Curious if anyone else has any thoughts or am I completely out of my mind to even consider this?
BARP  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 14, 2024 12:19:51 PM(UTC)
BARP

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
We also use a Peplink VPN for remote production, and have had great success using SRT. Peplink has a feature called WAN Smoothing which can duplicate (or even triple) send each packet, which, when combined with the built-in Forward Error Correction of the SRT protocol can overcome a lot of connectivity problems.

The other mechanism to consider is the latency setting. The best practice is to set your SRT latency to 3x your actual latency for resilience, but there's nothing stopping you from going even much much higher. I have personally done a stream on an LTE connection with 30% packet loss by increasing the latency to 5,000ms (5 seconds) on a link that is normally 150ms, which allows for 4+ seconds worth of attempts to get that packet to the other end. The only drawback is the type of communication with your camera operators has to change. Since by the time your directions have reached them, the moment has already passed, so you have to anticipate and trust your operators a lot more than usual.
thanks 1 user thanked BARP for this useful post.
KnKproductions on 3/7/2024(UTC)