logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Omer  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 24, 2014 4:58:31 AM(UTC)
Omer

Groups: Registered

We thought that it would be a brilliant idea to utilize the high quality PTZ network cameras instead of more expensive Panasonic AW-HE60S cameras (or similar) for small studio applications. It would save like $2K per camera plus the 4 HDSDI I/P PCIe card, which is another $1K. When you look at a 4 camera system your savings are like $9K. Gives huge competition power to my business.

Looked into these PTZ cameras.

Canon VB-H41
Panasonic WV-SW598
Sony SNCEP580
Axis Q6045

All of the above models produce both h.264 and MJPEG streams. We know that vMix only supports h.264 streams as input so still should be fine. Worth to give it a try. Canon here has kindly lent us a demo VB-H41 for testing. It's picture quality at 16Mbps and lens performance proved that it's very usable for broadcast applications. Latency was like only 0.2 secs (@ 5 I frames / sec). Over an PoE switch it was fairly easy to get the input at vMix side. I liked the PoE thing too. No cable mess. With AW-HE60S it would have been data, video and power cables all around. Great.

However for some reason the Canon PTZ camera produces the h.264 streams only in 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 15 and 30 fps. There is no 25 fps choice for h.264 streaming. And this product is global; not only for US market. 25 fps is only available for MJPEG streams. It seems it's the same for Panasonic and Sony models as well. A 25 fps set up vMix accepts 30 fps h.264 streaming sources and then framerate converts but the results are not useable at all.

So at the end of the day the whole idea turned out to be useless. I believe only the Axis model can produce 25fps h.264 streams but haven had the chance to give it a try.

So wouldn't it be nice to have MJPEG streaming input support for this reason?
homeless  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 6, 2015 4:40:12 AM(UTC)
homeless

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I get this problem with using many ip-cams from town-security-TV - they have only mjpeg outputs. I spend many times in google and other - and search 3 "workaround" - 1. create transcoder-server (vlc, ffmpeg and other) to getting mjpeg-stream from cams and sending it to vmix over UDP or RTSP in h.264 - but great delay and not stable. 2. Use DirectShow filters (if you use Win-machines) to emulate "web-cams" with ip-mjpeg sources. More stable, but delay exist. 3. Get stream from cam with vlc on independent PC - play it on screen and get screen with vmix desktop capture.
wwdv  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2016 4:00:28 PM(UTC)
wwdv

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 15 post(s)
homeless wrote:
3. Get stream from cam with vlc on independent PC - play it on screen and get screen with vmix desktop capture.

I tested this with my Sony SNC camera's and it has a good quality (especially with NDI) and almost no delay.
How can I emulate this step by software without needing an extra PC?

vMix should realy have a IP (mjpeg/jpeg) capture option for all those old IP camera users like churches.
(they often use Webcam7 Pro as Directshow filter for vMix, but it has seconds delay)
Before vMix I used Blue Iris and the IP quality was better than the video grab and almost no delay.

homeless  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2016 3:46:06 AM(UTC)
homeless

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
If you want use MJPEG-cams with vmix in one PC - install VLC with NewTek NDI-plugin - set video(and audio) output in VLC to NDI-stream, open stream in VLC and take NDI stream in vMix. But - PC must have good CPU
wwdv  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 26, 2016 11:55:12 AM(UTC)
wwdv

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Adding a Web browser input in vMix and fill in the IP camera's stream URL will also work!

If it is not fullscreen it can be done with the zoom setting.

For Sony SNC camera's the URL is: http://username:password@ip.address/image

mjgraves  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2016 11:23:15 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
It's worth noting that there are some PTZ cameras built for video conferencing that can be USB-connected. To vMix these appear like a more capable webcam. They can deliver MJPEG over USB 2.0, which allows for low latency and full 1920x1080p30.

I've used the Logitech PTZ Pro and AVER Info VC520 myself. They're in the sub-$1k range. The AVER Info cameras has multiple PTZ presets and VISCA control.

PTZ Optics has some that are physically more like the Sony and Panasonic products.