logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
neato23  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 25, 2024 7:45:26 AM(UTC)
neato23

Groups: Registered
United States

So this is actually two questions honestly.

First, the groundwork here. I've been on a path to migrating away from hardware switching and gear for a couple months now. I've just built a new machine specifically for vMix. We intend to eventually do some remote production work long term but we'll be taking this machine as an IP workflow solution to our venues in the short term. Note: not a laptop... I just didn't want to bother. I'll carry a desktop

First and foremost, I'm in the process of setting up out primary duties. I figure our TD will most likely handle switching (obviously) and maybe the graphics workload. It's not a heavy workload on graphics. I think adding replays is a little bit much for one person though. I could be wrong though, one of the major drivers behind going to vMix is replays, so we don't have any experience with it as of yet.

So that got me thinking about pealing graphics management and replays off.

Is it normal or out of the ordinary to have a few different "stations" setup with different controllers (X-Keys in our case) to do different tasks. All to the same machine. So a desk with this main PC running everything, then dropping replays on one screen and having one person control replays and graphics and another doing TD work.

We do have a second machine available. Not exactly sure how we'd use it or how it might be helpful for our situation. It's not near as put together as the vMix machine though, atleast not this year...

The bonus question here is:
Looking at the web controller, I see I can probably do graphics through that. But I'm going to throw a huge wrench into things. I just recently got a new job that requires a great deal of travel. I hadn't really considered doing this but was curious if it was possible to do some of this work remote.

I've got staff that can handle the major aspects and staff that goes on site but I'd like to be involved still. Replays, Graphics (probably doable over web controller), even Technical directing.

A few concerns I'd have with this are latency (this is sports too). The Live LAN won't be usable to get the video back to my position in some random hotel. Especially for TD, replays, although I will do my diligence and invest in LTE and failover redundancy like we've done for our on-site team.

I've been using parsec quite a bit for messing about while traveling and it's got some crazy low latency. I've even streamed SRT through my VPN back to vMix and switched it over parsec.

That brings up the next question: I'm curious if X-Keys would work over such a setup.

this all sounds kind of crazy but I do remember seeing something like this done during COVID when a production crew tested positive. I can't find the reference now though and in all fairness it could have been over LAN and not a WAN, for what it's worth.

Just curious anyone's thoughts
nikosman88  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 25, 2024 8:09:48 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Hello. Your solution for remote control via a surface i think that is the program called centralcontrol https://centralcontrol.io
neato23  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 25, 2024 9:50:32 AM(UTC)
neato23

United States

Originally Posted by: nikosman88 Go to Quoted Post
Hello. Your solution for remote control via a surface i think that is the program called centralcontrol https://centralcontrol.io

I've heard of central control before but hadn't looked into it too in depth. I'm not really sure what the benefit is over just configuring X-Keys in vMix directly?