logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WayneVerbatim  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2024 12:01:30 AM(UTC)
WayneVerbatim

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

I am brand new to Vmix, literally just learning how to use it but i am in a hurry to do so because of upcoming work!

I have just come from a cloud switcher and getting my input sources there was easy, it gave me SRT details for my encoder and i streamed directly into the switcher, but with vmix there isn't that option, so what do i need to do in order to get the video feed in from my encoders into vmix?

I am using Teradek Go encoders, i stream those to Teradek Core so that i can control properties remotely, and then from there i streamed out to the provided SRT (RTMP was an option too, but i was using SRT)

Teradek said i can use one of their servers to do this and it will provide me with the details to take that stream into vmix, but they are around $75 a month for the server and you can only have 1 input per server, so its a pain having 1 for each, and also costs a fortune when you start running with 4 cameras

Any links to what i need to do, websites, youtube tutorials, anything to help really!

Thank you

PS i should add that throughout this i have only use the integrated / plug and play options, i don't know about setting up anything with code or anything complicated
ckvideo  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2024 1:29:14 AM(UTC)
ckvideo

Germany

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Wayne,

we had good experience with the Open Source Solution Datarhei Restreamer. It is a kind of "media stream switcher/transcoder" with a friendly Web-UI. You create channels with an ingest path and connect different publishers as output paths to it. It takes a bit getting used to, but it is a great tool to run as a docker container. You can ingest RTMP/SRT/RTSP/... and publish it to SRT/RTMP/SRT/Vimeo...

To go SRT/SRT, you set up a channel with SRT ingest and no publishers and get SRT and HLS output included. You stream into Restreamer and use the output SRT as input into vMix.
Each channel has a audio/video control for ingest and a built in HLS web player for output control. We wer running on a 2 GB RAM, 2 core cloud server with 3 channels at 90 % CPU. Go a bit bigger, especially if you start transcoding things.

A cloud server running this should be around 5-20 $ / months.

Good luck,

Christian
nikosman88  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2024 9:23:10 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ckvideo Go to Quoted Post
Hi Wayne,

we had good experience with the Open Source Solution Datarhei Restreamer. It is a kind of "media stream switcher/transcoder" with a friendly Web-UI. You create channels with an ingest path and connect different publishers as output paths to it. It takes a bit getting used to, but it is a great tool to run as a docker container. You can ingest RTMP/SRT/RTSP/... and publish it to SRT/RTMP/SRT/Vimeo...

To go SRT/SRT, you set up a channel with SRT ingest and no publishers and get SRT and HLS output included. You stream into Restreamer and use the output SRT as input into vMix.
Each channel has a audio/video control for ingest and a built in HLS web player for output control. We wer running on a 2 GB RAM, 2 core cloud server with 3 channels at 90 % CPU. Go a bit bigger, especially if you start transcoding things.

A cloud server running this should be around 5-20 $ / months.

Good luck,

Christian

Hello. Can you please explain me a little more for this program? I have a vps server with linux. Can i use the program you mentioned to take a rtmp stream from restream.io or twitch.tv, send it to my vps server with the use of Restreamer and then export to srt to take it as srt inside vmix?

ckvideo  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2024 6:19:01 PM(UTC)
ckvideo

Germany

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi,

this should work, here are the docs. Basically Restreamer it is a docker server system with ffmpeg doing the heavy lifting and a nice Web UI around it. You need a Linux box at a providers datacenter, but could also use it on a Raspi (even with attached hardware, have not tested it). Be careful: if you move from just replicating stream packets to transcoding media content inside, you have to have enough CPU and RAM for it.

What parameters has your current VPS ?

Setup the docker container on your VPS (watch the network settings, this tends to suck), create a new channel using RTMP network source for ingest. This should give you an SRT output you can use in vMix. If it gets too difficult to set up, PM me and I can set up a test route for you on my server. Please beware, that you should avoid leaving the continent with RTMP, this can become unstable because of latency issues. SRT rules...

Do not underestimate the overall network setup - having things in the "Provider Internet" is always better, even if you have a (consumer grade) fast fiber connection from and to your place.

Christian
nikosman88  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2024 5:43:20 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ckvideo Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

this should work, here are the docs. Basically Restreamer it is a docker server system with ffmpeg doing the heavy lifting and a nice Web UI around it. You need a Linux box at a providers datacenter, but could also use it on a Raspi (even with attached hardware, have not tested it). Be careful: if you move from just replicating stream packets to transcoding media content inside, you have to have enough CPU and RAM for it.

What parameters has your current VPS ?

Setup the docker container on your VPS (watch the network settings, this tends to suck), create a new channel using RTMP network source for ingest. This should give you an SRT output you can use in vMix. If it gets too difficult to set up, PM me and I can set up a test route for you on my server. Please beware, that you should avoid leaving the continent with RTMP, this can become unstable because of latency issues. SRT rules...

Do not underestimate the overall network setup - having things in the "Provider Internet" is always better, even if you have a (consumer grade) fast fiber connection from and to your place.

Christian

Thank you very much.