logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TL68  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2024 6:29:34 PM(UTC)
TL68

Groups: Registered
Sweden

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi!
Still in a learning process so here is another (maybe stupid) question.
Building a setup in vMix where I want to run most stuff using a streamdeck/companion with the vMix plugin (which uses the api if I have understood correctly) I have noticed one thing that sometimes gives me trouble.

In the world of vMix commands, settings etc related to inputs seems to most often be based on the order of the inputs. So for example if I have a title on position 7 and run it from my streamdeck/companion setup I have to use no 7 to run this title. This means I have to be very careful if I for example create new titles so I don´t change the order of the inputs.
This has also been a thing to keep an eye on when it comes to assigning inputs to outputs in vMix settings etc.

Is there some other way to handle this? Maybe a unique ID instead of the number system?

Thanks for any input (pun intended :-) ) regarding this!
nikosman88  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2024 10:49:58 PM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TL68 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
Building a setup in vMix where I want to run most stuff using a streamdeck/companion with the vMix plugin (which uses the api if I have understood correctly) I have noticed one thing that sometimes gives me trouble.

In the world of vMix commands, settings etc related to inputs seems to most often be based on the order of the inputs. So for example if I have a title on position 7 and run it from my streamdeck/companion setup I have to use no 7 to run this title. This means I have to be very careful if I for example create new titles so I don´t change the order of the inputs.
This has also been a thing to keep an eye on when it comes to assigning inputs to outputs in vMix settings etc.

Is there some other way to handle this? Maybe a unique ID instead of the number system?

Hello. Either from number that of course can change order during the production,you can use the title,the short title that you assign what you need or you can use the GUID of an input that is unique for every input. Simply in the companion input put this value instead of input number. The GUID per input you can find it in http://127.0.0.1:8088/api as input key=".." or inside companion go buttons-->variables-->studiocoast vmix--> and in the filter write and search per name or present input vmix number you need and you will see the GUID number and copy-paste it in your triggers or buttons. Dont know if there is more easy way but that is what im using.
Also in the menu that im saying in companion you can see what are the possible values a input can have (for example true or false) to be able to enter them in triggers for internal variable check in companion
SDKUCSS  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2024 11:10:07 PM(UTC)
SDKUCSS

United States

When building the shortcut, make sure the box that says “assign shortcut to input number” is unchecked. This way the shortcut will follow the shortcut input regardless if it is moved. It will not be “dependent” on the order of the input. So if you built your shortcut using input 7 for your title and the box is unchecked and you move your title to input 20, if the box is unchecked, it will still work with the title input.

https://www.vmix.com/hel...dex.htm?AddShortcut.html
TL68  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 5, 2024 12:13:13 AM(UTC)
TL68

Sweden

Originally Posted by: nikosman88 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!

Hello. Either from number that of course can change order during the production,you can use the title,the short title that you assign what you need or you can use the GUID of an input that is unique for every input. Simply in the companion input put this value instead of input number. The GUID per input you can find it in http://127.0.0.1:8088/api as input key=".." or inside companion go buttons-->variables-->studiocoast vmix--> and in the filter write and search per name or present input vmix number you need and you will see the GUID number and copy-paste it in your triggers or buttons. Dont know if there is more easy way but that is what im using.
Also in the menu that im saying in companion you can see what are the possible values a input can have (for example true or false) to be able to enter them in triggers for internal variable check in companion

Big thanks! found the guid:s via the api and it works fine in assigning them to companion buttons. Great news for me :-)

Will the guid:s be the same if I open the vMix project on another computer?
nikosman88  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 5, 2024 12:33:30 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Hi!

Big thanks! found the guid:s via the api and it works fine in assigning them to companion buttons. Great news for me :-)

Yes you can also append a vmix input from one vmix preset to another vmix preset into other vmix pc and this input will have the GUID that has in the original preset

thanks 1 user thanked nikosman88 for this useful post.
TL68 on 1/5/2024(UTC)
TL68  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 5, 2024 12:37:58 AM(UTC)
TL68

Sweden

Hi!

Yes you can also append a vmix input from one vmix preset to another vmix preset into other vmix pc and this input will have the GUID that has in the original preset

Sweet! Then I can move on to changing all my input numbers to guid in companion. Just wanted to make sure since this setup will be used on multiple pc:s. Thanks again!