logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
djmoll  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 30, 2023 8:23:22 AM(UTC)
djmoll

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm interested in a way for vMix to automatically perform another action after my rolling credits complete.

I currently import information from a spreadsheet data source to fill a GT title overlay for rolling credits. The credits scroll vertically at the end of each livestream. The number of entries from my source spreadsheet is different for each program, so the amount of credits information to roll is different.

Doggie suggested a script approach that estimated the time required based on the number of populated lines in the spreadsheet. That is too complicated for me, so I currently just use a fixed delay in Companion before starting another action. I typically have significant dead time to make sure the rolling credits have time to finish. It would be so much easier if vMix had a way to trigger another event when the rolling credits finish, or perhaps when a special "end" character combination appears in the data source, or perhaps something else?

I suspect that anyone else using vMix's rolling credits has faced this same challenge.

The overall request is to add some automation to vMix that can automatically identify when rolling credits finish, and then trigger a new event.

Perhaps something for vMix 27???? I'd be happy if it was even added to 28.

Thanks,
David

PS -- If there is already a simple way to do this, I'll beg forgiveness for my lack of knowledge, provided someone explains how to do this simply.
doggy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 30, 2023 8:51:32 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 921 time(s) in 760 post(s)
Originally Posted by: djmoll Go to Quoted Post

The overall request is to add some automation to vMix that can automatically identify when rolling credits finish, and then trigger a new event.

datasource lasts line/row blank data or character a script can check for that , Then add time based on the height and speed of the ticker to trigger something else to do when the last row disappears out of sight /

ideas on how to retrieve this data from the title caan be found in the scripting for dummies post
thanks 1 user thanked doggy for this useful post.
djmoll on 1/1/2024(UTC)
nikosman88  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 30, 2023 9:45:15 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 50 post(s)
It would be so much easier if vMix had a way to trigger another event when the rolling credits finish, or perhaps when a special "end" character combination appears in the data source, or perhaps something else?

Hello. If your title is GT Title and you can have at end a special character or a phrase or any special word,try to use companion to do this as follow
1.create a new trigger at companion
2.Events-->on condition becoming true
3.Condition-->Internal:Variable:Check Value and then Use "" to find your input -->"your gt title" and select layer0 Title.Text (or else you name the field that has your titles) and at operation = -->give as value the special character and then do your action you need
In theory it must work ok
thanks 1 user thanked nikosman88 for this useful post.
djmoll on 1/1/2024(UTC)
djmoll  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2024 7:23:16 AM(UTC)
djmoll

Originally Posted by: doggy Go to Quoted Post

datasource lasts line/row blank data or character a script can check for that , Then add time based on the height and speed of the ticker to trigger something else to do when the last row disappears out of sight /

ideas on how to retrieve this data from the title caan be found in the scripting for dummies post

Doggy -- Thanks for responding with your suggestion. You are going to eventually convince me to tackle scripting, but I'm a slow learner on that.

I'm still hoping vMix will create some better built-in functionality for rolling credits. I'm sure others would use any improvements that are added.
djmoll  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2024 7:34:42 AM(UTC)
djmoll

Originally Posted by: nikosman88 Go to Quoted Post
It would be so much easier if vMix had a way to trigger another event when the rolling credits finish, or perhaps when a special "end" character combination appears in the data source, or perhaps something else?

Hello. If your title is GT Title and you can have at end a special character or a phrase or any special word,try to use companion to do this as follow
3.Condition-->Internal:Variable:Check Value and then Use "" to find your input -->"your gt title" and select layer0 Title.Text (or else you name the field that has your titles) and at operation = -->give as value the special character and then do your action you need

Nikosman88 -- I currently use Companion to turn on a vMix overlay with a GT title rolling credit. I use a vMix overlay trigger to select the initial input data field in the spreadsheet, and than use another vMix trigger to start reading the data. When I close the overlay, another trigger stops vMix from reading additional data. But closing the overlay is controlled by a delay in Companion. So my use of Companion is only to call up the overlay and then turn if off after a fixed amount of time.

I appreciate your suggestions to use Companion to more actively manage the rolling credits. I'll look into this more. I certainly value the power of Companion!

Overall, I hope vMix will consider improving their implementation of rolling credits. It is a little tricky to configure vMix to do vertical rolling credits, but it does work. I just wish vMix had some capabilities to manage the end of of a rolling credit. I expect I'm not the only vMix user who has been frustrated by this.

Thanks again, Nikosman88!

David
nikosman88  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2024 7:43:07 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Nikosman88 -- I currently use Companion to turn on a vMix overlay with a GT title rolling credit. I use a vMix overlay trigger to select the initial input data field in the spreadsheet, and than use another vMix trigger to start reading the data. When I close the overlay, another trigger stops vMix from reading additional data. But closing the overlay is controlled by a delay in Companion. So my use of Companion is only to call up the overlay and then turn if off after a fixed amount of time.

I appreciate your suggestions to use Companion to more actively manage the rolling credits. I'll look into this more. I certainly value the power of Companion!

Overall, I hope vMix will consider improving their implementation of rolling credits. It is a little tricky to configure vMix to do vertical rolling credits, but it does work. I just wish vMix had some capabilities to manage the end of of a rolling credit. I expect I'm not the only vMix user who has been frustrated by this.

Thanks again, Nikosman88!

David

Hello happy new year. The way i write i tried it with normal ticker and datasources and work ok. Im not too familiar with datasources and i dont have rolling credit to try but i see that even not if the datasource is "on air" and autonext is enabled is start play and that we dont need it. So yes in the vmix input we need to put a trigger that will start play datasource,enable autonext. But for end-"off air" when the datasource will be in the phrase or special character,the companion trigger on how i described it, it will do the job
Edit
I managed to do a basic GT roll title in gt designer and yes possible to work also the trigger "by word or phrase or special character" if we use datasources
djmoll  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 6, 2024 2:11:36 AM(UTC)
djmoll

Nikosman88,
Thank you so much for your suggestion. It took me a couple days to get around to working on this, but your suggestion of using a Companion trigger worked perfectly to automatically end rolling credits.

I was able to set up a simple Companion trigger that looked for "* * * * *" in my rolling credits data. I was already using those characters at the end of my vertically rolling credits anyway.

I initially called the GT Title rolling credits overlay with a Companion button press on button step one. This allowed the rolling credits to start. I used a vmix trigger for the "overlay on" to set the first line of data in my spreadsheet, and then a second vMix trigger to start reading the data.

When the Companion trigger fires it sets the Companion button to step 2 and then "pushes" button 2. This starts the "termination" of the rolling credits. I had to add a delay at the beginning of step 2 to allow the rolling credits to scroll off the screen, but I then turn off the rolling credits overlay with a Companion command. A vMix "overlay off" trigger stops the reading of data when the rolling credits overlay is turned off.

Overall, this works fabulously. I can now change the amount of content/lines in my rolling credits to any amount, and the overlay is still turned off exactly when the credits have completed.

From the larger perspective, you opened my eyes to Companion triggers, which are so powerful and useful. Although it would be nice for vMix to be able to control rolling credits more completely, you solved my particular problem well by suggesting using Companion triggers. I'm sure I will find other uses for them. Using Companion and an Elgato Streamdeck with vMix is an incredibly powerful package.

Thanks again,
David

nikosman88  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 6, 2024 7:45:12 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Im glad that i helped you. About the larger perspective.. It is about 15 days that i discovered companion and start using it. It is like santa claus make me a gift!!! It saves me a lot of time from editing in daily basis and also a lot of searching to do things that for someone that know vb scripting are easy to do. Also i spare a lot of time by asking and trial-error chatgpt and i see that these things can be done in a few clicks in companion!
Of course for more complicated things vb.net scripting is the ultimate thing but companion with some workaround and a little imagination can save the day. Also it is good for end users like us if vmix add more things in the core,because a 3rd party will do more things also