logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rabb  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2014 4:32:34 PM(UTC)
rabb

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
OK Newbie question here guys. I'm looking for the benefit of your collective vast experience.

I have a fixed budget to purchase a new camera for streaming music gigs so low light performance is quite important.

I've whittled myself down to either the Canon HF-G25 or the Panasonic X920.

Do any of you folks have either or even both? Can you help a newbie decide between them? I watched review after review but I'm still no closer to a decision. Both seem to be pretty decent in low light.

Why can't this game be easier??????

All input welcome :)
thanks 1 user thanked rabb for this useful post.
PFBM on 12/19/2014(UTC)
PFBM  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2014 4:43:23 PM(UTC)
PFBM

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
rabb wrote:
OK Newbie question here guys. I'm looking for the benefit of your collective vast experience.

I have a fixed budget to purchase a new camera for streaming music gigs so low light performance is quite important.

I've whittled myself down to either the Canon HF-G25 or the Panasonic X920.

Do any of you folks have either or even both? Can you help a newbie decide between them? I watched review after review but I'm still no closer to a decision. Both seem to be pretty decent in low light.

Why can't this game be easier??????

All input welcome :)

Go for : Panasonic X920
thanks 1 user thanked PFBM for this useful post.
rabb on 12/19/2014(UTC)
ask  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2014 5:57:22 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Before making a decision one way or another, think about what you want to be able to do into the future. Will you be looking to do 4-5 camera shoots etc. If that is the case, my suggestion is that you commit to one brand. I have both, and have decided to standardize on Canon. Why? One user interface to learn. Similar white/colour balances. With the same model camera, one set of controls to learn.

If you are primarily streaming, be careful of the HMDI output available. With the G25 you will get 1080p @ 50/60fps. With the Panasonic I only get 720p over HDMI. For the model you mention, it is not clear from the manual what the output is so you should ask before committing.

Both brands will handle the low light situation well.

IceStream  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2014 5:58:00 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
First off, I am not familiar with either of these cameras, but I have to ask, how did you whittle it down to just these two?
Do they each have all the connections and options you need and want?
At first glance, it would seem the overall specs on the Panasonic are better but the Canon may be slightly better in low light and has a lanc input, so the real question is how each camera meets your needs and fits into your workflow?
Have you physically held and tested the cameras?
That could very well be the determining factor for you in picking the camera that you will be most comfortable with.

Ice

rabb  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2014 6:46:43 PM(UTC)
rabb

IceStream wrote:
First off, I am not familiar with either of these cameras, but I have to ask, how did you whittle it down to just these two?
Do they each have all the connections and options you need and want?
At first glance, it would seem the overall specs on the Panasonic are better but the Canon may be slightly better in low light and has a lanc input, so the real question is how each camera meets your needs and fits into your workflow?
Have you physically held and tested the cameras?
That could very well be the determining factor for you in picking the camera that you will be most comfortable with.

Ice

Thanks for the reply ICE.

Firstly it came down to the price bracket I'm in. I did look at cheaper options but the spec and reviews weren't favourable especially when it comes to low light situations. I don't do finance or credit deals so decent pro gear is out of my price range just now.

I have 3 Canon HV40 units which are great little cameras in a studio setting with good lighting but when pushed in low light situations they bug the life out of me!

LANC isn't really a worry either on the X920 as it has live control via wifi.

The plus side for the Canon is that I have Canon gear now and they have served their purpose well up to now. I'm drawn to the Panasonic though as it doeas have a slightly better spec.

I may resort to drawing straws on this I think!
ask  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2014 8:37:46 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
The G25 uses a larger sensor than the HV40 and is much better in low light than them.

Here is a low light comparison of the two cameras
h2video.nl  
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 21, 2014 8:23:40 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
i have good experience with the panasonic line of cameas and looked at the x920 ( but have desided to step it up a notch and go for a canon x25 with sdi out, 20 zoom and all the pro features you really want to have at some point: xlr audio input, face follow focus, a good sensor etc etc.)

anyway one point to add: when you want to go for more than one camera and go for one brand (which i can also recommend to do) be sure to be able to buy the cameas in one time. i have bought my panasonic sets over time and noticed that batteries, power input and all that kind of small stuff changes all the time. this way you can build a complicated set of cameras with lots of different cables, chargers etc etc. when you forget one little thing from one camera it renders it useless on set...

just a thing to keep in mind. stefan
thanks 1 user thanked h2video.nl for this useful post.
rabb on 12/21/2014(UTC)
rabb  
#8 Posted : Sunday, December 21, 2014 11:02:47 AM(UTC)
rabb

h2video.nl wrote:
i have good experience with the panasonic line of cameas and looked at the x920 ( but have desided to step it up a notch and go for a canon x25 with sdi out, 20 zoom and all the pro features you really want to have at some point: xlr audio input, face follow focus, a good sensor etc etc.)

anyway one point to add: when you want to go for more than one camera and go for one brand (which i can also recommend to do) be sure to be able to buy the cameas in one time. i have bought my panasonic sets over time and noticed that batteries, power input and all that kind of small stuff changes all the time. this way you can build a complicated set of cameras with lots of different cables, chargers etc etc. when you forget one little thing from one camera it renders it useless on set...

just a thing to keep in mind. stefan

Sound advice Stefan :)

The holy grail would be to have pro cameras with HD-SDI output. A spare £10K would be great!

Quality aside it would allow me to ditch the HDMI mini converters. It would mean less cables and less to go wrong!

Until then I'll continue dropping pennies into the piggy bank!
PFBM  
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 1, 2015 1:39:46 PM(UTC)
PFBM

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
I use 4 canon HV30 with hdmi cables up to 80 meters..... no problems at all :)

Cheers ,

PFBM