logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SportsReplay90  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 16, 2023 9:46:05 AM(UTC)
SportsReplay90

Groups: Registered
United States

Hey Everyone,

Newish to live streaming, been on the camera side, but moving over to the director side. I am looking at getting a setup to be able to do 4k streaming with replay. I am trying to figure out what hardware I would need to be able to have 2 people run simultaneously off the same computer for replay. Can I even do this?

I would like to have the main computer be able to have the camera inputs right into it, and be able to stream and switch within vmix or using a switcher. But what I also want is to have the replay have access to all of our camera inputs, and be able to make cuts or edits on the go and then send them back to the main monitor/director for broadcast. How do you have two people using the same machine without messing up inputs?

If you can't do two people running off one machine, then I'm fine with having to use two machines and two licenses, but just trying to figure out what I would need. If I can avoid two machines, then all the better.

Attached are the specs of the machine we would be using.

Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 6.31.26 PM.png (126kb) downloaded 1 time(s).
nikosman88  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 16, 2023 11:57:11 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SportsReplay90 Go to Quoted Post
Hey Everyone,

Newish to live streaming, been on the camera side, but moving over to the director side. I am looking at getting a setup to be able to do 4k streaming with replay. I am trying to figure out what hardware I would need to be able to have 2 people run simultaneously off the same computer for replay. Can I even do this?

I would like to have the main computer be able to have the camera inputs right into it, and be able to stream and switch within vmix or using a switcher. But what I also want is to have the replay have access to all of our camera inputs, and be able to make cuts or edits on the go and then send them back to the main monitor/director for broadcast. How do you have two people using the same machine without messing up inputs?

If you can't do two people running off one machine, then I'm fine with having to use two machines and two licenses, but just trying to figure out what I would need. If I can avoid two machines, then all the better.

Hello in theory and with some limitations and workarounds this can be done. For example for 2 mouse in same pc if needed you can use an app like mouse mux so every operator will have his own mouse. Also in vmix you can connect 2 midi device controllers (streamdeck and other devices) one for switching and another for replay. The window that control the instant replay can be separate from main vmix window app so the 2nd operator can have it in his 2nd monitor and control it from there with his midi device controller and shortcuts and the 1st main operator can decide what and when to play from replay section. You can have for example a 3rd common multiview monitor or and a 4th monitor so monitor1 and monitor2 will be the main vmix switch and multiview and monitor3 and monitor4 the replay window and replay multiview for the 2nd operator. Also vmix support multiple instances so for replay you can route via ndi the cameras from main vmix to 2nd one and back, according to your needs
So yes in theory it can be done. In real world production you need to test and see if it matches what you need.
thanks 1 user thanked nikosman88 for this useful post.
Ario on 12/19/2023(UTC)
elvis55  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 18, 2023 4:04:59 AM(UTC)
elvis55

Switzerland

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Ario  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 19, 2023 10:46:54 PM(UTC)
Ario

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 16 post(s)
We have used the scripts as mentioned in
https://forums.vmix.com/...w-2nd-Computer#post48646
in order to trigger replay (including stinger) from the switching PC and 'served up' by the replay machine.

Please see these:
OnReplayTransitionIn.txt
OnReplayTransitionOut.txt
via the link above.

Recently by the way, we have moved to BMD Atem 4k video switcher for our 8 live cams
and only use one vMix PC: for replay and playing out recorded video's/commercials.
We use StreamDeck with Companion to cut to the replay input on the Atem, overlay a stinger via the Atem Media Player, and to send the replay footage from the vMix PC to the Atem.

And thanks for the https://www.mousemux.com/ tip;
two StreamDecks are nice, but to quickly select and tweak replay events, a mouse is almost essential in our experience.
For example, there is no way to select multiple replay events without using a mouse, afaik.
Their free version looks quite complete.
At the same time, maybe using just a StreamDeck for the director,
plus a StreamDeck + mouse (so just one mouse in total) for the replay operator, might be enough.

For our use case we are thinking about two replay operators on one PC;
maybe one with just a StreamDeck and the other a StreamDeck + mouse.
VeloMedia  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2024 1:45:40 AM(UTC)
VeloMedia

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: SportsReplay90 Go to Quoted Post
Hey Everyone,

Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 6.31.26 PM.png (126kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

Looking at doing the same thing, with an almost identical PC Build. Did you build that Machine and have you got the dual operator mode up and running?

VeloMedia  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2024 2:05:46 AM(UTC)
VeloMedia

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Ario Go to Quoted Post
We have used the scripts as mentioned in
https://forums.vmix.com/...w-2nd-Computer#post48646
in order to trigger replay (including stinger) from the switching PC and 'served up' by the replay machine.

Please see these:
OnReplayTransitionIn.txt
OnReplayTransitionOut.txt
via the link above.

Recently by the way, we have moved to BMD Atem 4k video switcher for our 8 live cams
and only use one vMix PC: for replay and playing out recorded video's/commercials.
We use StreamDeck with Companion to cut to the replay input on the Atem, overlay a stinger via the Atem Media Player, and to send the replay footage from the vMix PC to the Atem.

And thanks for the https://www.mousemux.com/ tip;
two StreamDecks are nice, but to quickly select and tweak replay events, a mouse is almost essential in our experience.
For example, there is no way to select multiple replay events without using a mouse, afaik.
Their free version looks quite complete.
At the same time, maybe using just a StreamDeck for the director,
plus a StreamDeck + mouse (so just one mouse in total) for the replay operator, might be enough.

For our use case we are thinking about two replay operators on one PC;
maybe one with just a StreamDeck and the other a StreamDeck + mouse.

Out of interest, why did you change from using vMix for switching to a BMD ATEM 4K?
Ario  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2024 10:12:26 PM(UTC)
Ario

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Hi, sorry for the way late reply.

We decided to build a core production around Atem switchers (more robust), with vMix for playing video's, lower thirds, replay.
In this setup, we can afford a PC reboot if needed, all the while keeping our live cameras on air.
It just gives better peace of mind.