logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
J Miller  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 9, 2023 5:53:53 AM(UTC)
J Miller

Groups: Registered
Canada

Recently did a windows update, then re-launched vMix to a known preset that worked minutes earlier. Preset comes up with most assets OFFLINE, including GT titles. Other JPGs and PNGs are showing up in their inputs with black squares partially obscuring them. vMix seems to be looking for everything in a TEMP folder instead of the folder(s) where the assets are located, for example:

C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp\vmixpresetfiles\6c359310-6ffb-4bd3-9a3c-6dfa421c6b47

The camera inputs work fine. The audio mixer seems to be working. I don't know what the heck is going on. I've tried rebooting the computer again (which is running everything else normally) but vMix still will not find the assets. Please help, as we use vMix several times a day.
Thanks,
John
SDKUCSS  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 12, 2023 11:13:27 PM(UTC)
SDKUCSS

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I believe the temp folder is just that, a temporary storage place. My guess is that with the new update, that folder has changed. My suggestion is to relink your inputs/sources. For each input that is now missing, click the lower right cog icon. Once that opens, click the “change” tab in the upper right. This is the way to relink your source to the input. What I did was to build new folders on my computer so that all vMix elements were in one place. Then I browsed for the new location folder and my sources were back to the original input. Hope that makes sense.

https://www.vmix.com/help24/index.htm?Inputs.html
J Miller  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 13, 2023 1:25:36 AM(UTC)
J Miller

Canada

Thanks for your reply. After a back-and-forth with tech support, I ended up having to manually re-associate all 82 inputs with their respective assets...took a while. As to why this happened, this is what tech support came up with:

"Hi John,
The reason this has happened is because some time in the past you have created a vMix Bundle Preset. Meaning all media assets such as images, titles, videos etc were saved into the bundle preset file. However, at some point after that it has been re-saved as a normal preset file. Meaning all those assets now have to be stored and saved locally then referred to directly by the preset to a location on your hard drive. It does give you the option to specify where this location is. But by default the location it is a temp folder located in AppData in your C drive (which is that file path you specified in your first email).

Windows keeps files in temp only for a temporary duration which depends on what this is set to in Windows. But one thing that can delete it is a Windows Update.

You will be able to manually tell it where the correct location of those files are to link them all up again. Then recommend to save it immediately after to save those changes. If you can trace back that old preset bundle file, you could also open that and save a copy of all those assets to a central location so it is easy for you to re-link them again. Could also edit the preset file directly in notepad and do a search and replace of the file paths if that is easier than doing it via vMix.

But it does appear there has definitely been a vMix Bundle preset file in the past as that is the only way it will ever reference that temp folder location."