logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
richardgatarski  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 18, 2014 6:54:39 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
It is extremely difficult to modify a camera angle in Virtual sets based on its thumbnail. I would go as far and say it is practically impossible. But if one could see the actual result it would be much easier.

An undocumented possibility (by mistake?) while in the Setup Tab is to double click the preview window, which opens up the "Input Video Zoom Window". Adjustmens for all layers can then be made while live previewed. (Sidenote, the layer selected for adjustment is the last adjusted, not the one selected in the Setup Tab).

Double clicking while in the Camera tab is also possible, in seemingly a similar fashion (including live preview). I tried adjusting the Main layer (hoping this would mean the current camera angle). With some effort I managed to setup up the camera angle I wanted, and the preview looked as I wanted when I closed the "Input Video Zoom Window". But when I left clicked first another camera angle, and then the one I just adjusted, the angle returned to its original setting (in the .xml file).

I believe a nice solution would be if adjusting the Main layer while in the Camera tab retained the adjustment for the currently selected angle. It would also be more user friendly if the selected layer was "Main" for camera angle adjustmens, and for Setup adjustments the currently selected layer.
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 5:47:26 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Richard

I'm not sure I fully understand the request...

Right clicking the thumbnails opens a 'restricted' size pop-up window, which is strictly for 'Camera View' zoom adjustment, but I agree, it would be nice if it previewed the "Live" set.
Double left clicking the 'Input' opens up the settings window (same as clicking the cog wheel) which is a size adjustable window, perfect for 'fine tuning' the elements in a "set-up".
I have not experienced the "the angle returned to it's original setting (in the .xml file)". The "Edits" in either window perform as I would expect and appear to be 'remembered' for me, so I am unsure why it's not for you.

Overall, one has to realize that the 'Virtual Set' is essentially a "MultiView" input and thus any adjustment to any layer should be made to the appropriate overlay channel of the input.
I agree that it can be frustrating when going in to make adjustments since the 'Settings' window always opens up to the last settings page it was on, regardless of the 'Input', so if you last adjusted the "main" position of "Input #1" and then jump to alter the position of "Talent" in your 'Virtual Set', if you don't select the appropriate overlay channel, you will 'inadvertently' be changing the "main" position instead of the position of the "Talent" overlay channel (I have experienced this many times).
However, I'm not sure if there is an "easy" fix, or if it even should be changed at all (such as the 'Settings' window always defaulting to the "General" page and forcing you to navigate where you want to go, either way has advantages and disadvantages).
As with a lot of things in vMix, I don't initially find them "intuitive", but once I have a better understanding of the "logic" behind them, I fully appreciate the "POWER" Martin has built into his program.

Ice