logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
alanreeves  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2023 2:55:53 AM(UTC)
alanreeves

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Hi, I wonder if anyone can offer any advice on this? We have used vMix and NDI for about 5 years in our church services, and it has been very successful. vMix services two NDI outputs; one is used as a feed to TV monitors in other rooms, and the other feeds the song slides to a projector. Now we have a number of people who have vision problems, and for these we currently print the songs we will be using each week. Some of these people use iPads and other tablets at home, and I would love to give them the option to use these in church. Our router is set up with a guest wifi network to isolate everything from the LAN. So I need a way to send the slides NDI feed out in such a way that it can be discovered in the guest wifi network. I have investigated options on the router and cannot see any obvious way to do this. I've also looked at running NDI Bridge in local mode, but again can't see just how this could help.

Does anyone have any suggestion? Any help much appreciated.

Thank you
Alan Reeves
mavik  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2023 5:24:06 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 148 post(s)
NDI is more higher bandwidth and I wouldn't recommend it over wifi and to a bunch of people.
Use the LiveLan option in vMix. To receive the feed one just needs a browser. The most easy and direct way in my opinion.
alanreeves  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2023 7:19:03 AM(UTC)
alanreeves

United Kingdom

Thank you for your reply, however LiveLan is not a option due to it's approx 10 second latency. I'm not concerned about bandwidth for this function, as we are sharing static slides. Plus, if I can make use of NDI Bridge in some way, the stream can be converted to NDI HX.
nikosman88  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2023 10:53:26 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Originally Posted by: alanreeves Go to Quoted Post
Thank you for your reply, however LiveLan is not a option due to it's approx 10 second latency. I'm not concerned about bandwidth for this function, as we are sharing static slides. Plus, if I can make use of NDI Bridge in some way, the stream can be converted to NDI HX.

Hello. I assume that use a ndi output from 4 existed to send the slides. In this as scenario i tried to ndi a powerpoint. The fullndi out it uses like normal video out in 1080 preset and it needs about 80+ mbps per device.. If you have many devices and not 10gbps network is a no go. I also not understand how to work the ndi bridge mode. But i have to suggest another one thing. Use of the site vdo.ninja. Send from ndi webcam the slides to vdo.ninja and then the viewers will accept via their internet browser. The bandwidth this way is small,it works in any internet network and the latency is very low and acceptable
zenvideo  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2023 8:54:49 PM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
Originally Posted by: alanreeves Go to Quoted Post
... if I can make use of NDI Bridge in some way, the stream can be converted to NDI HX.

I've not tried this, but I'm wondering if you could utilise another PC, with connections both to the guest WiFi (as primary connection) and to your main NDI LAN. Then you could maybe use NDI Bridge on that PC to connect to the source on the main LAN, where you have to explicitly specify the IP address (so it can be on a different subnet), and Bridge would provide the feed to the devices on the Guest WiFi LAN (transcoded into NDI|HX).

mavik  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2023 9:29:12 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 148 post(s)
Maybe I can lift the secrets behind NDI Bridge. It connects two sides and transmits their NDI signals if needed. Side A <-> Side B. Both can see each other signal.
Bridge has to run on both ends. One side has open port (listen) and sharing private secret key. The other side uses the shared key and could connect to the listening side. Once the connection is established both sides will see the NDI sources available at the far side and just proceed as if they were local sources. Bridge handles everything in between. Make sure the bridge computer is not too weak as it has to convert all transfered signals.
Any questions, let me know.
thanks 1 user thanked mavik for this useful post.
basket_ on 12/2/2023(UTC)
nikosman88  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2023 9:54:40 PM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mavik Go to Quoted Post
Maybe I can lift the secrets behind NDI Bridge. It connects two sides and transmits their NDI signals if needed. Side A <-> Side B. Both can see each other signal.
Bridge has to run on both ends. One side has open port (listen) and sharing private secret key. The other side uses the shared key and could connect to the listening side. Once the connection is established both sides will see the NDI sources available at the far side and just proceed as if they were local sources. Bridge handles everything in between. Make sure the bridge computer is not too weak as it has to convert all transfered signals.
Any questions, let me know.

ok i managed to understand it. The hard part is to have an open port in your router and internet connection. If you dont have access in your router or your internet provider doesnt want to open a port there is problem.
alanreeves  
#8 Posted : Thursday, November 23, 2023 2:23:06 AM(UTC)
alanreeves

United Kingdom

Thanks to everyone for your helpful contributions, they are all appreciated. I had completely forgotten about vdo.ninja, I will take a look, it may well suffice for the small number of people who need to use it. The second PC idea could also be a good solution, but we have a small, largely non-technical volunteer group, so I try to keep the hardware set-up as simple as possible. But thank you all. Alan