logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lamboht  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 13, 2023 7:15:57 AM(UTC)
lamboht

Groups: Registered
United States

I'm live-streaming indoors with two Akvans NDI PTZ cameras, AJA IO 4k Plus video capture device , a small external monitor that I can connect to each camera and an Asus Reference laptop. I have the X-rite Colorcheckr for Video. The talent is roughly 40 feet from the camera.

1. How far away to position the Colorcheckr ? Most videos that demonstrate the use of this card show the talent fairly close to the camera (less than 10 feet) so that when the Colorcheckr is held right next to the talent's face, it's easy for the camera to take up a big part of the image but my camera is 40 feet away. Do I bring the Colorcheckr up close to the camera, bring the camera up close to the talent or just zoom the camera as much as possible and then bring the Colorcheckr just close enough to fill the camera's field of view ?

2. After adjusting the white balance and exposure in the camera, do I try to make any color adjustments within the camera using the Colorcheckr as a reference OR do I leave those settings untouched and use vMix to make all color adjustments ? The camera has only some basic RGB settings to adjust.

3. vMix also has white balance adjustments. Do I use those instead of the ones on the camera , use both (camera settings and vMix) or just the camera settings ?
lamboht  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 13, 2023 7:33:29 AM(UTC)
lamboht

United States

Since vMix doesn't have a masking feature, using the Colorcheckr when it only takes up a small portion of the field of view is problematic for me. It's challenging to use the vector scope or waveform unless the Colorcheckr can be masked or if it takes up the entire field of view.
kross  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 13, 2023 2:56:36 PM(UTC)
kross

United States

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 28 post(s)
It would be best to not move the Colorchecker, as the lighting may change. Best to have the Colorchecker where the talent will actually be standing. So you can either move the camera closer, or zoom the lens. Either should be okay.

As far as vMix not having a masking feature for the vectorscope, etc., actually the vectorscope and other tools do honor the zoom and cropping of the video. If you go to the Position tab and zoom/crop so only the Colorchecker is visible, then the scopes will only be reacting to what's visible.