logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SCBC  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 9, 2023 1:25:41 AM(UTC)
SCBC

Groups: Registered
United States

Using VMIX for our church stream. The VMIX computer and adjacent Pro computer are on the same network (wired). I have 2 NDI outputs from Pro coming into VMIX - one for lower third lyric overlay, the other is full screen output for videos etc.

This setup worked great for months, but I've recently added a Birddog Play to the same network so we can have a TV in our lobby that shows the stream output from VMIX. Now my Pro inputs are lagging all the time. I've had to use the 'low bandwidth' mode on both NDI inputs from Pro in order to keep things from lagging. The lyrics input is not a huge deal in low bandwidth, but the full screen video input looks like garbage in LB.

I've played with different settings and even when I totally pause the full screen NDI input when not used and I try to untick low bandwidth on the lower 3rd input, the lyrics lag way behind or totally lock up if the BirdDog is running.

Do these devices hog that much bandwidth or am I missing a setting that would smooth this out?

jet  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 13, 2023 3:42:06 PM(UTC)
jet

Man

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Avoid Birddog products. I have personally had so many problems with them. Some times it works and then not..

Speaking of NDI not working: Some times I have to close vMix to get vMix to see NDI sources from other machines on the same network.
SCBC  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 13, 2023 10:10:52 PM(UTC)
SCBC

United States

"Avoid Birddog products"

Good advice if I hadn't already put $$ out. I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to negate the issue in any noticable way.

As far as the Birddog unit itself, I've had zero functional issues out of it at all. If it's on, it's pulling the stream from VMIX flawlessly (aside from the lag issue it seems to be causing)

"Some times I have to close vMix to get vMix to see NDI sources from other machines on the same network."

I've run into that as well. I find that in my case, Pro Presenter needs to be up and running before I open VMIX. Otherwise it simply takes reconnnecting the NDI stream within VMIX or, as you say, close and reopen the program, which is really a different way of doing the same thing. That just seems to be an oddity of NDI that has to be accounted for.

jet  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 25, 2023 1:13:51 AM(UTC)
jet

Man

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SCBC Go to Quoted Post
"Avoid Birddog products"

"Some times I have to close vMix to get vMix to see NDI sources from other machines on the same network."

I've run into that as well. I find that in my case, Pro Presenter needs to be up and running before I open VMIX.

I hope this will be fixed in the new vMix/NDI. Not tested NDI with the new vMix beta, yet.