logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Simsyuk  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 28, 2023 9:39:40 PM(UTC)
Simsyuk

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I've received some emails from individuals inquiring about how I set up Skype for my broadcasting needs. I figured I'd share the details here to assist anyone interested in a similar setup.

I'm using a spare Windows 10 laptop with Skype (https://www.skype.com/en/get-skype/) and NDI (https://ndi.video/type/ndi-tools/) installed. To begin, make sure NDI is enabled in Skype by navigating to Settings > Calling > Advanced > Allow NDI Usage > On.

Now to move the Skype watermark logo, simply change the watermark location by going to Skype Settings > Calling > Advanced > Watermark > Select > bottom left corner.

Make sure you've connected your Bluetooth headset to the laptop for direct communication with the host or guest, creating a "green room" experience. This setup ensures that viewers cannot hear your side conversations since you're using a separate device. Also by connecting both machines via a network cable directly to your hub (not using Wi-Fi), you'll achieve better picture and sound quality, along with complete control over video and audio.

On my second PC running vMix 4k (version 26.0.0.45):

Add an input in vMix by selecting NDI/Desktop Capture and choose the NDI input, select which NDI input that corresponds to the Skype address you want imported. This setup grants full audio and video capabilities.

Within vMix, click on the 'External' cog and select the output you wish the host or guest to see, whether it's an input number or the main output window. Personally, I've designed a custom title window that shows the viewer's name, comments, profile picture, time, source (Facebook and YouTube), and the live output window. This way, hosts and guests can see our broadcast content, and you (producer) can choose which viewer comments to highlight using vMix Social - my show involves interactive viewer comments throughout the live broadcast.

I suggest to launch NDI before Skype on the Skype machine; this sequence has consistently proven effective for me. Typically, I start vMix first, configure all settings for a live broadcast on platforms like Facebook and YouTube, and then initiate the Skype laptop call with the host or guest. Finally, I bring them into vMix (don't forget to save).

To summarise, follow these steps:

For the Skype PC/Laptop:

1. Activate your Bluetooth headphones (or preferred audio device) first.
2. Use a dedicated PC/Laptop with Skype and NDI installed.
3. Open Skype and enable NDI in settings.
4. In Skype settings, go to Audio & Video and select "NewTek NDI Video" for the camera.
5. Under Audio, choose your audio device (e.g., Bluetooth headphones).
6. Adjust the Skype watermark to your desired location.

Once you've completed these steps and saved your settings, you shouldn't need to repeat them.

For the vMix PC:

1. Launch vMix.
2. Access the External settings (cog) and select the output for your host/guest to view.
3. Add an input, choose NDI, and click on the Skype name of the person you want.
4. Resize/crop the input so that the Skype watermark is not visible.

That's it! Feel free to experiment with additional inputs, create layers, and mute inputs as needed.

During your live broadcast, remember to enable the Skype video feed so your host or guest can view the vMix output. Additionally, if necessary, you can simply mute your microphone within Skype without making adjustments within vMix.

I have a standard practice where I request all my guests to wear earpieces during our broadcasts. This setup allows me to have private conversations with them without others overhearing. For guests who don't have dedicated microphones, they usually use either Bluetooth headsets or headphones as an alternative audio solution (works great). The only limitation is that you can't have private conversations with the host if you have guests as part of the live broadcast, as everyone will hear your conversation. In such cases, I use my phone to send WhatsApp text messages if necessary, especially if the guest becomes annoying or won't stop talking lol.

I hope these instructions will prove helpful to some of you.