logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pjtgrizzly  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 7, 2014 12:07:45 PM(UTC)
pjtgrizzly

Groups: Registered

Hi - I'm looking for a single standard definition usb capture device that has composite/rca input that I want to work in Windows and Mac recent OS's in VMix broadcasts. This would be plugged into USB input on Mac/Windows laptops.

I need to have: 1) picture quality. As good as it gets coming in in SD 2) stable. No issues/quirks/crashes/oddities 3) Low input lag (using VMix as virtual preview monitor i.e.)

I was looking at the Hauppauge USB Live 2 but that is Windows only.

Has anyone used the Elgato Video Capture (10020840) USB device with VMix in either Windows/Mac (or even better both)? Is it completely stable? Any input lag?

Anyone have any recommendations on any other SD usb capture solutions that are under $100 that are cross-platform?'

Thanks for any info!
tdurhamjr  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 7, 2014 3:08:59 PM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
I have spent alot of time on this issue (except HD) and I can tell you the Elgato HD60 does not work with vMix. I also tried the Hauppauge PVR2 and it did not work. The issue is that vMix (and Adobe Flash Media Encoder) does not even see the device as a "camera". I don't know why some devices show up and some do not?? I got on Amazon and found the "Magewell XI100DUSB-HDMI HDMI to USB" will work with vMix. I need this to use with a laptop for traveling lite. So while I have not used the devices you listed, I wanted to let you know the HD versions do not work. I tried them on the laptop and on my PC just to make sure it was not a computer hardware issue.
pjtgrizzly  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 7, 2014 3:28:56 PM(UTC)
pjtgrizzly

Thanks tdurhamjr on the info on Elgato HD60/Hauppauge PVR2.

I'm already completely sold on the Magewell usb-hdmi but we're going to be working with some clients with cameras that don't have HDMI output and I certainly want to keep our approved capture devices down to - well. Two. The less the better with stability paramount but added challenge of it can't be windows only. Sigh.