logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DougF  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 11, 2023 1:15:04 AM(UTC)
DougF

Groups: Registered
Canada

We're running vMix HD 26 for our church services to stream and control the powerpoints displayed during the service. I've set a number of shortcuts and triggers, mostly for the start of the service to change powerpoint decks and overlays, to make it easier for the volunteers running the system. Normally they work as intended, but on occasion some or all of the shortcuts don't work. This happened last Sunday, but when I went to investigate later in the week everything worked as expected.

I'm speculating that as the computer sometimes is only started once per week that Windows is running scans (or maybe updates although they aren't enabled automatically) when it first boots and this is interrupting vMix functions to a degree. I've suggested making sure the volunteers start the computer well before the service start time to give it time to do any Windows background stuff before we need to stream.

Any other thoughts about what might cause the shortcuts to fail?
doggy  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 11, 2023 1:57:19 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DougF Go to Quoted Post
We're running vMix HD 26 for our church services to stream and control the powerpoints displayed during the service. I've set a number of shortcuts and triggers, mostly for the start of the service to change powerpoint decks and overlays, to make it easier for the volunteers running the system. Normally they work as intended, but on occasion some or all of the shortcuts don't work. This happened last Sunday, but when I went to investigate later in the week everything worked as expected.

I'm speculating that as the computer sometimes is only started once per week that Windows is running scans (or maybe updates although they aren't enabled automatically) when it first boots and this is interrupting vMix functions to a degree. I've suggested making sure the volunteers start the computer well before the service start time to give it time to do any Windows background stuff before we need to stream.

Any other thoughts about what might cause the shortcuts to fail?

How are you using/controlling the shortcuts ? keyboard, external controller, remote ?
Standard shortcuts only work when the vMix Gui is the active window.
DougF  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 11, 2023 2:00:59 AM(UTC)
DougF

Canada

laptops keyboard, and vMix is the active window.
Roy Sinclair  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2023 8:35:00 AM(UTC)
Roy Sinclair

United States

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DougF Go to Quoted Post
laptops keyboard, and vMix is the active window.

Then it's the case that vMix isn't the active Window.

My first extra keyboard was set up to do shortcuts as keystrokes and they didn't always work because too often some other window was the active window when I pressed the key.

I switched to an X-Keys set up as a Midi keyboard and since vMix watches the Midi without having to have the focus, it never misses a shortcut now.

Get yourself an X-keys controller and do not try to use it as a keyboard extension, use it as a Midi device and things will work for your volunteers.

If you can't get an X-Keys (budget problem) then make sure the Laptop has all unnecessary notifications etc turned off. Just clicking down on the taskbar for any reason will take the focus away from vMix and then the keyboard shortcuts won't be seen by vMix. That includes the browser window if you're streaming, typing a reply to a YouTube comment means that vMix doesn't have focus. As long as you and the volunteers know WHY it didn't work though they'll at least know what to do to get it to work.
DougF  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 15, 2023 12:07:20 AM(UTC)
DougF

Canada

Thank-you both.

I am going to watch the other users more closely and see if they are doing something with the mouse that I'm not aware of. I try to have them not touch the mouse when things are running, but they might be inadvertently clicking as they push the mouse out of the way.

I had a quick look at the x-key site and longer term that is worth considering for us. No immediate budget of course. But being able to better arrange the shortcut keys and more importantly, add labels to their function would greatly help with training the volunteers.