logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tdurhamjr  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 6, 2014 10:49:19 AM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
I have a great PC setup for multiple camera use. However, I want to get a high end gaming laptop to use on the road when streaming with only 1 camera. I will plan on using an Elgato HD60 to capture the video. But I am looking for a solution to record the vmix output externally. I use the BM Hyperdeck Shuttle on my PC system and I am very happy with that. However, they only support SDI (DIN 1.0/2.3) input and a laptop will not a card like the Decklink Quad or Decklink Mini.

Any suggestions on how I would accomplish the external recording? Anyone using the Ninja HDMI recording devices? On a laptop, with no SDI card, can you set the External settings in vMix to send the "vMix Output" to the HDMI port? Or will the HDMI port only replicate what is on the laptop screen (monitor)?

Any help in this area would be appreciated.

Tim
tdurhamjr  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 6, 2014 11:55:17 AM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

A little more info. I am looking at a Digital Storm Krypton. It would have an i7 4719MQ cpu, Nvidia GeForce GTX 980M 8gb video card, 16gb RAM, and it would have 2 SSD's in it. I just wanted to record externally so that it did not causing any issues with my streaming. Is anyone using a laptop to stream and Recording locally while streaming?
Kelvin  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 6, 2014 12:15:14 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Check out the Avermedia Live Gamer Portable. It can record an HDMI output directly to an SD card or another laptop.

http://www.newegg.com/Pr...e-_-15-100-150-_-Product

thanks 1 user thanked Kelvin for this useful post.
tdurhamjr on 12/6/2014(UTC)
Rehan  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 6, 2014 12:23:25 PM(UTC)
Rehan

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I have an AverMedia Live Gamer Portable (LGP) connected to the secondary output of my PC, and it works quite well. You need to set up the LGP as the secondary screen using the "Extend" desktop functionality in Windows, and then configure vMix to display the Output to the Fullscreen.

I feed the audio using a separate cable from our audio mixer, but you can also set up the LGP to get the audio via HDMI.
thanks 1 user thanked Rehan for this useful post.
tdurhamjr on 12/6/2014(UTC)
tdurhamjr  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 6, 2014 2:39:00 PM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Thanks Kelvin!

I forgot the BlackMagic shuttle does support HDMI input (albeit YUV). But the HDMI output of my current laptop is RGB. So I ended up grabbing one of my converters http://www.ebay.com/itm/111384026849 which converted my laptop HDMI to SDI > BM Shuttle > HDMI Monitor and it worked like a champ. I was making it more complicated than it had to be. I just setup the laptop to run "dual monitors" extended mode (the HDMI monitor setting had to be set to 1280x720 on laptop) , and run the FULLSCREEN in vMix to monitor 2 :)
mp  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 15, 2015 8:06:21 AM(UTC)
mp

Rehan wrote:
I have an AverMedia Live Gamer Portable (LGP) connected to the secondary output of my PC, and it works quite well. You need to set up the LGP as the secondary screen using the "Extend" desktop functionality in Windows, and then configure vMix to display the Output to the Fullscreen.

I feed the audio using a separate cable from our audio mixer, but you can also set up the LGP to get the audio via HDMI.

Old topic, similar problem.
I would like to output a signal from vMix via HDMI out port of my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645 to a HDMI to SDI converter, giving my signal to a local TV station. I know, that I can use this method to output audio and video to my second screen (home tv), but I guess, that it won't work with an HDMI to SDI converter, or?

In vMix under external renderer I have an option: device: Sample ouptut, port HDMI. Does it make the yob? Does this send my vMix signal over HDMI from my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645?

Thanks.
tdurhamjr  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2015 9:15:26 PM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

mp,
There is no problem sending out vmix over HDMI. You most likely have the ability to change your display settings to output the HDMI in either RGB or YcbCr. In the past I have used a Blackmagic hyperdeck shuttle 2 to record my vmix output and when using the Shuttle I had to either 1) set the display settings to YcbCr or 2) use a HDMI to SDI converter. Most HDMI>SDI converters accept any HDMI signal and convert it so the color space setting is irrelevent. The bottom line is that my using an HDMI>SDI converter was due to limitations of the shuttle.

If are needing an SDI signal to plug into something for the TV station, then an HDMI>SDI converter would be required if using "FullScreen" unless you have a video card with an SDI output (ie Blackmagic Decklink Quad). In this case you would then use the "External" function to output through that card instead of the "FullScreen" function as described above. I hope this makes sense.

How are you passing the signal to your local TV station? Do you have equipment of theirs that you direct feed in to? do you stream it, etc?

Tim
mp  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2015 3:09:12 AM(UTC)
mp

tdurhamjr wrote:
mp,
How are you passing the signal to your local TV station? Do you have equipment of theirs that you direct feed in to? do you stream it, etc?

Tim

I would like to send my signal to a HD Connect MI converter (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/470701-REG/Convergent_Design_HDCMI_HD_Connect_MI_HDMI_to.html), after that they will do their job :D

My question is, would converter recognize a proper signal as a second monitor (if I send my signal as a fullscreen?) Would my graphic card send a proper signal to this converter?
Thanks
tnorrell  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2015 10:43:36 AM(UTC)
tnorrell

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
@MP,

The link you shared goes to a product that isn't sold anymore, so I assume you already have one. In case you are shopping for an DH->SDI converter, I've had really good luck with these, and they are only $50 on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Pa...ed-3G-SDI/dp/B00NTJJJXI/

To answer your 'full screen' question, we would need to be able to know what resolutions the box supports. In theory, yes, the HDMI out of your gfx card would go into the box, and come out full screen on the SDI side. The box doesn't do any conversions to the frame rate or resolution. Most of the boxes I've used will negotiate highest possible common resolution between the video source and the box, and then output that resolution over SDI. However, some boxes don't support every possible frame rate per resolution. For example, I had one that supported 720p60 and 1080p30, but not 1080p60. So, your mileage my vary.

Good luck!
thanks 1 user thanked tnorrell for this useful post.
mp on 3/18/2015(UTC)
mp  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2015 1:23:49 PM(UTC)
mp

tnorrell wrote:

In theory, yes, the HDMI out of your gfx card would go into the box, and come out full screen on the SDI side.

Good luck!

Completely true. In fact it worked perfectly. The converter was recognized as a second monitor, I had just to configure same settings on my "second screen" monitor and on the converter.

Thanks for your time and help.

Speegs  
#11 Posted : Saturday, March 28, 2015 12:01:42 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Kelvin wrote:
Check out the Avermedia Live Gamer Portable. It can record an HDMI output directly to an SD card or another laptop.

http://www.newegg.com/Pr...e-_-15-100-150-_-Product

If you are after recording, this device is also ok.

http://avertv.avermedia....roductDetail.aspx?Id=593

If 20mbit MP4 is acceptable quality. It does that well. Ninjas and things like that are better of course.
geniusweb  
#12 Posted : Sunday, September 27, 2015 7:27:58 AM(UTC)
geniusweb

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Guys, for me it is still not clear.

To be able to output vmix final output with audio to some external device like teradek cube, or any other hdmi device, can I connect it directly via hdmi and use full screen output in vmix? OR do I have to use external renderer and use intensity shuttle for example?

I dont know what will happen when I connect to hdmi out non-monitor device? Will the windows and vmix recognize it and I will be able to select this device in vmix's display output (full screen)?

Or only way how to output vmix video to non monitor device is to use external renderer in combination decklink or intensity shuttle device?

Many many thanks for fast response.
Speegs  
#13 Posted : Sunday, September 27, 2015 8:28:49 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
geniusweb wrote:
Guys, for me it is still not clear.

To be able to output vmix final output with audio to some external device like teradek cube, or any other hdmi device, can I connect it directly via hdmi and use full screen output in vmix? OR do I have to use external renderer and use intensity shuttle for example?

I dont know what will happen when I connect to hdmi out non-monitor device? Will the windows and vmix recognize it and I will be able to select this device in vmix's display output (full screen)?

Or only way how to output vmix video to non monitor device is to use external renderer in combination decklink or intensity shuttle device?

Hello,

Either way will work.

If you are using a HDMI port on your video card, just be sure you set the graphics drivers to the correct resolution you wish to send. Basically it uses the fullscreen output from Vmix. If you wish to send that to more than one place at once, invest in a HDMI splitter. EG: To a screen and a Teradek. Splitters are exact photo copies. So don't expect to do anything different using this method except what you see on the full screen output. I often use a 4 port HDMI splitter on the output of Vmix to distribute video to external encoders, extra recorders (that don't add CPU load), digital modulator to turn the signal into DVBT (Digital Television) to send to many televisions cabled at the venue.

So in short, if after a simple setup.. HDMI on video card --> set resolutions correctly --> teradek cube. But if you need to, you could do all sorts of things.

You should be able to stream your desktop to a teradek cube for instance before you even open Vmix. The other thing you have to be a little careful about is the sound and getting Windows and Vmix working together on sending it out via Embedded in the HDMI. Although a teradek can also take a analogue line or Mic in if that is more your style.

Some of the BM Devices (not all) allow you to output video. For instance a BM Mini Recorder is a capture only device. A BM Mini Monitor can be used as an additional external output device. (pretty much the same as your full screen output, but can be different with some configuration).

Basically think of it as another video card attached to your computer, but can do a few little neat extras. Certainly not required.

Regards,

Speegs