logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gazreyn  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 5, 2014 12:22:57 PM(UTC)
gazreyn

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Having a small issue that when I play a stinger animation it plays for about 100ms-200ms then resets and plays normally but it's noticeable. I will try and get an example video uploaded to better explain the problem.

UPDATE: When I play the stinger, for example 'Stinger 1' it will highlight the overlay layer 1 in blue for the stinger media file. If I then press the number 4 overlay for the stinger media file, the transition will play seamlessly and will also work like a stinger should (switches between preview and active). Then, once it has played through it won't let me click the overlay layer 4 again until I press stinger. It will then play completely fine when I press stinger the first time but if I try and play it again using the stinger button the stuttering happens again until I press an overlay button for the stinger media file.

The only thing I can think of that might cause this issue is perhaps a codec issue? Has anyone else experienced this?
tnorrell  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 7, 2014 2:18:29 AM(UTC)
tnorrell

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
What are your system specs?
gazreyn  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 8, 2014 6:20:23 AM(UTC)
gazreyn

i7 4790k @ 4GHz
16GB RAM
GTX 780
gazreyn  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 9, 2014 11:18:36 AM(UTC)
gazreyn

http://www.twitch.tv/riotgameseu/b/596322654

Time: 40:52

Here's an example of what I was talking about.

Also, is it possible to enable sounds for stingers? would be awesome to have a swoosh/whoosh noise for when it plays in.

Edit: I think I found the issue. Only seems to be happening with .mov files, when I try FLV it seems to work fine :S
IceStream  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 9, 2014 6:26:43 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ gazreyn

If your video stinger is rendered with audio, then yes, you can play it with audio.

Also, I would suggest that the stutter is a glitch somewhere in your chain... it just doesn't like some aspect of the file, loading or accessing it for smooth playback, not that there is anything wrong with the file per se, it just has an issue with playing it back consistently and smoothly. I would try rendering it again as an alternate version (with the audio swoosh you want this time). In addition, you may want to place it on another drive or folder to see if that makes a difference. I have had similar issues with stuttering 'stinger' videos and I found it easier to "change" the file than to try and figure out what the root cause was (there are certainly a lot of processes going on at any given time with computers and I think it has something to do along those lines, I am no geek but it just appears to me to be timing out ever so briefly and then catching up to itself instead of playing back smoothly).

Ice
gazreyn  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2014 5:14:59 AM(UTC)
gazreyn

Thanks Ice. Yeah it's weird for sure. The issue happens both on my home PC and the production PC at work. It only happens when the file is being stingered and not for normal playback or when you play it back in the other overlay channels. As I said I tried the file as FLV which works out to be 2.3MB as opposed to 47MB that the .MOV file is and the FLV works fine so as you said probably due to process allocation/management somewhere along the line.