logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MSFTGuruGuy  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 23, 2023 2:23:14 AM(UTC)
MSFTGuruGuy

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have downloaded the Canon webcam PRO utility, upgraded to the paid version and on a 30 day trial. I'm using a Canon R5 on firmware 1.8.1. Connected via USB C the application appears to work correctly both wired and wirelessly and I can see the footage from the camera perfectly in applications like Zoom and Teams and other OBS applications, however when I add the camera in VMIX, it doesn't show any content, infact it doesn't show even a black screen or an error it looks like it's about to connect, creates the object but stops. It appears to be hung up grabbing the stream from the camera. In the side by side application image below, you can see the webcam utility is communicating with the camera, VMIX recognizes that it's content that it can render which is why the box appears (I think) except it's grey, but where I expect to see content on the left in my VMIX object this just hangs like this and never renders my live content from the camera.  The Canon utility even goes as far to acknowledge that VMIX has connected to the camera through the app. Curious if anyone has any ideas... 

Screenshot 2023-07-22 111934.png (256kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 24, 2023 9:06:37 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ MSFTGuruGuy

Unfortunately, vMix does not support the Canon WebCam Utility as it uses a compression format that does not work with vMix (not to mention the fact that Canon "missed the boat" on this by only outputting a low resolution webcam image and does not do your camera sensor justice).
For optimal results, vMix recommends using the HDMI out with a supported Capture device.

Ice
MSFTGuruGuy  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 24, 2023 10:05:18 PM(UTC)
MSFTGuruGuy

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks IceStream.
I think you're talking about the old version of the utility; I'm asking about the PRO release that Canon released Nov 2022. This version uses MJPEG compression and outputs in 1080p 60. I agree with you it doesn't do the 8K sensor justice, however in my usecase the utility does allow for wireless access to multiple cameras and control of those cameras through the utility and supports the OBS opensource application, so I was more curious if it was something I was missing.