logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sev  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 8, 2023 8:22:32 AM(UTC)
Sev

Groups: Registered
United States

I'm new to Vmix and would like to be able to start a playlist of an hour show using Cantabibe for music Synced to Vmix playing videos. I would like to just start once and have all the synced songs/videos play back-to-back, but if something goes wrong I would need the ability to start back with any song/video in the list. For rehearsal purposes also. Ive been able to send messages from cantabile to Play pause and restart but 3 shortcuts for each song times 14 songs is a lot of shortcuts. Is there a way to get play pause and restart to work for every song without having shortcuts for each song? Also, any help on how to select a song in the middle of the playlist if I need to stop and go back or select a song somewhere else in the playlist. Thanks a bunch
doggy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 8, 2023 8:41:55 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Sev Go to Quoted Post
I'm new to Vmix and would like to be able to start a playlist of an hour show using Cantabibe for music Synced to Vmix playing videos. I would like to just start once and have all the synced songs/videos play back-to-back, but if something goes wrong I would need the ability to start back with any song/video in the list. For rehearsal purposes also. Ive been able to send messages from cantabile to Play pause and restart but 3 shortcuts for each song times 14 songs is a lot of shortcuts. Is there a way to get play pause and restart to work for every song without having shortcuts for each song? Also, any help on how to select a song in the middle of the playlist if I need to stop and go back or select a song somewhere else in the playlist. Thanks a bunch

could the previous/next function be of any help ?
Sev  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 8, 2023 9:29:11 AM(UTC)
Sev

United States

Thanks doggy, right now I have start playlist triggered from Cantabile and next PlayList Entry to play the next song. Previous/next would add the ability to go back or forward which would be an improvement. I also have a play pause and restart for each song but after about 30 minutes worth of videos Vmix started to crash. Hopefully Vmix can handle an hours' worth of video. I was advised to use DNXHR files although very large. I just got a new laptop with 64gb Gforce 4070 so I would think it should work.
nikosman88  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 9, 2023 1:20:42 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Thanks doggy, right now I have start playlist triggered from Cantabile and next PlayList Entry to play the next song. Previous/next would add the ability to go back or forward which would be an improvement. I also have a play pause and restart for each song but after about 30 minutes worth of videos Vmix started to crash. Hopefully Vmix can handle an hours' worth of video. I was advised to use DNXHR files although very large. I just got a new laptop with 64gb Gforce 4070 so I would think it should work.

Hello. My opinion is that Vmix when we come in playlist options need a big improvement. But until then... Why Playlist and not Add Input-->List in which you can put many hours of videos and playout them as desired? Also for how to select any specific video/playout i think the best way if you use list instead of Playlist is your mouse... Or if you need a more flexible way you can use UTC https://forums.vmix.com/...iversal-Title-Controller
With this program you can put a widget list inside it, in which you see every item of your vmix list,select it with shortcuts or by mouse click, play-pause, next-previous or from the embedded widget buttons in a very easy way
Also for sending http/tcp commands from other programm to control is possible in List inputs
Sev  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 9, 2023 4:26:50 AM(UTC)
Sev

United States

Thanks nikosman88. I think I went to playlist because I wanted to just start the playlist and have it run through the entire show without starting each new song. Is that possible using lists? I'm unfamiliar with widgets but sounds interesting. So would I go from music program Cantabile, to UTC, to Vmix? Thanks, I appreciate the input. Pun intended.
nikosman88  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 9, 2023 5:20:33 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Thanks nikosman88. I think I went to playlist because I wanted to just start the playlist and have it run through the entire show without starting each new song. Is that possible using lists? I'm unfamiliar with widgets but sounds interesting. So would I go from music program Cantabile, to UTC, to Vmix? Thanks, I appreciate the input. Pun intended.

Yes you have to see how list input works when we insert video to it. For example see this video
quite old but still same except the ui for some buttons. If in this list input you have checked/be green the Auto Next button, videos will play back to back. If you also check loop in the input they will loop after the last video
If you want or not audio from the videos you can set it up in this list input-->general and to stop or not when the list input is on pgm or not. Also in list input you can add/remove/change the order of the videos, while it plays on air without stop/start it again
I havent use cantabile but how do you connect it with vmix? You are in the cantabile UI and somehow You send the http command to start/stop the playlist? You can do the same with list inputs. Here vmixapi.com is a good place to see what commands you need to send for the vmix api
I suggested you UTC not exactly to replace cantabile but to have in a better ui the list input from vmix.See for example the photo i attach Desktop Capture 08 Iouliou 2023 22-14-34.png (48kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
This is a widget called playlist in UTC programm. You can start your list from Cantabile if this fits you better but if.. something happens or want to change on the fly the video it plays, simply choose it with your mouse or use the buttons in the bottom of the widget to stop-start manually etc. Also you can use shortcuts to do things. UTC is a very powerfull add-on controller for vmix
Sev  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 9, 2023 7:56:16 AM(UTC)
Sev

United States

WOW nikosman88, that's great! I don't know how I missed that video. That gives me a good place to start. I didn't know about M3U files. If you use M3u files that are played back from your computer, is that different than loading all the files/videos into separate inputs in VMix playlists? If so wouldn't that be easier for vmix to handle? Ideally it would be better for the video playback to be handled by the GPU instead of the CPU. My understanding is that vmix uses mostly CPU to playback videos.
I connect cantabile to vmix with loopMidi and use cantabile as the master, although it can be used as slave, so I don't know which will be better. Cantabile has a lot of midi bindings/messages that are similar to vmixes. Cantabile plays the song list one after the other and sends command to start list in vmix. The music plays back from Cantabile and has all my program changes for all the different songs. I thought it would be better for vmix not to have to decode the music but I would rather have music and video played from vmix to prevent any sync issues, although I can delay the music from cantabile to make up for the latency. I will experiment to see if vmix can play both music and video without any dropped frames. Thanks for the good tips, I'll give it a try soon.
nikosman88  
#8 Posted : Sunday, July 9, 2023 8:39:20 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

WOW nikosman88, that's great! I don't know how I missed that video. That gives me a good place to start. I didn't know about M3U files. If you use M3u files that are played back from your computer, is that different than loading all the files/videos into separate inputs in VMix playlists? If so wouldn't that be easier for vmix to handle? Ideally it would be better for the video playback to be handled by the GPU instead of the CPU. My understanding is that vmix uses mostly CPU to playback videos.
I connect cantabile to vmix with loopMidi and use cantabile as the master, although it can be used as slave, so I don't know which will be better. Cantabile has a lot of midi bindings/messages that are similar to vmixes. Cantabile plays the song list one after the other and sends command to start list in vmix. The music plays back from Cantabile and has all my program changes for all the different songs. I thought it would be better for vmix not to have to decode the music but I would rather have music and video played from vmix to prevent any sync issues, although I can delay the music from cantabile to make up for the latency. I will experiment to see if vmix can play both music and video without any dropped frames. Thanks for the good tips, I'll give it a try soon.

Vmix uses GPU for encoding-decoding and cpu where it needed. For vmix load is better to have all of your videos into 1 list as videos,instead of having separate inputs.Every input you do in vmix consumes a little more from GPU. Do this experiment if you want. Put all of your videos in a list and see in the bottom of vmix how much GPU Mem: says and then do separate inputs all your videos and see again how much more gpu consumes...
Βtw i see in your previous post that you say for a laptop with nvdia 4070. I dont know if you allready know that in this type of GPU you can enable the resizeable bar in order to have in use all the vram of GPU.
so if your laptop support this, no problem in the GPU load
Sev  
#9 Posted : Sunday, July 9, 2023 11:05:11 AM(UTC)
Sev

United States

Good tip, I didnt know abut that, I hope I have it.