logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
talkinlive  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 8, 2023 2:12:13 AM(UTC)
talkinlive

Groups: Registered
United States

I have VMix call setup to do a online interview voice chat.

I have the host headset turned down so they do not hear themselves... but how do I monitor host audio from VMix computer station then? I am unable to hear host.

Thanks
Jeff
nikosman88  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 8, 2023 2:59:08 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Originally Posted by: talkinlive Go to Quoted Post
I have VMix call setup to do a online interview voice chat.

I have the host headset turned down so they do not hear themselves... but how do I monitor host audio from VMix computer station then? I am unable to hear host.

Thanks
Jeff

Hello. If i understand well what you need to do.You are the vmix host in place A. One caller is in place B and another in place C and you want these 2 persons to be able to talk between them. For this, you dont need any special setup. Simply start your 2 vmix calls with default settings and everything ok. You can monitor their audio from vmix as you usually do
talkinlive  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 8, 2023 3:46:07 AM(UTC)
talkinlive

United States

Sorry for any confusion there.

No, it is just a 2 person call: Person A) Host and Person B) Online Guest

I would like to be able to monitor Person A (Host) through VMix now that host headset is turned down to not hear themself.

Thanks,
Jeff

ryxyz  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 8, 2023 5:22:33 AM(UTC)
ryxyz

United States

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 3 post(s)
How are you getting the host his audio? You should set up a separate audio bus for the host that has only the guest audio. Send that audio bus to a device and connect the host's headphones. Your controller headphones should be a separate audio device.
talkinlive  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 11, 2023 3:12:45 AM(UTC)
talkinlive

United States

Thanks for the reply. When I try to add an additional bus for audio I get an error.

Please see image.

cannot create audio bus B.jpg (87kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

Thanks
Jeff
zenvideo  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 11, 2023 4:07:44 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
If you want to
(a) send a headphone feed to the host so that they can hear the guest, but not themselves,
and also
(b) send a mix that includes the host audio, either to headphones or speakers, so that the main program output can be monitored (by someone other than the host),
then you need a minimum of two audio output devices, one for each audio mix.

In the audio settings image that "talkinlive" has posted, there only appears to be one audio device, the "Default Windows Playback Device" - and it's assigned to both the Master Output mix and the Headphones mix. In my opinion, this is not a desirable configuration. To get proper functionality from having two mixes available, the Master Output and the Headphones, they should not be mixed together into one device output, or else it can get confusing as to what the controls are supposed to be doing.

If you don't have a second audio output device, then I suggest obtaining one. e.g. a USB audio interface, or if you've got one already and that's what you're using as the Windows Default, then use the built-in soundcard as the second device. Once you have two physical audio output devices taking both the (virtual) Master Output and Headphone mixes, it's a simple task to use the Master Output device to hear all the audio, and to use the Headphones output for the host (with the headphone volume control turned down on their audio input channel settings so they don't hear themselves, but do hear everything else.

You can of course use any of the audio busses (A, B, C, etc) for the feed to the host, instead of the Headphones bus, and have your second audio device assigned to the output of that bus instead of the Headphones bus. In that case, set the Headphones output to None.
talkinlive  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 14, 2023 2:58:09 AM(UTC)
talkinlive

United States

Thanks for the feedback. I had to hit "Default" in Vmix to get rid of that error.

Thanks for the advice on how to feed the audio to host. Problem solved.