logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rjmurdock  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2014 7:05:34 PM(UTC)
rjmurdock

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Not sure which forum topic I should post this under. I have an issue when I'm using the Fullscreen output of vMix as a video source for a display or as an additional input for my ATEM switcher. If, for whatever reason, the cable connected to the output of my laptop is disconnected, vMix then locks up and completely blacks out my main screen. My laptop is completely unresponsive as well and I'm forced to have to reboot my laptop. Now if I'm aware that I'm about to disconnect the HDMI out of my laptop and I switch the Fullscreen option off, then there is now issues.

Is there anyway to build-in some "safety code" into vMix to prevent this lockout if an output display source is inadvertently disconnected while in the Fullscreen mode?

RJ Murdock
EmeraldCoastTV.com

Rehan  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2014 6:54:30 PM(UTC)
Rehan

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I've never had this problem on my Windows 7 PC and various versions of vMix over the last year. When the 2nd display is removed, the Fullscreen output is shown on the primary screen behind the vMix window, and vMix keeps running.

If you have an Gefen HDMI Detective Plus device connected to your laptop (and you can keep it connected), it can make the laptop think that the output display is still connected even when it's not. It's not an ideal solution, but it could be a usable workaround for you.
richardgatarski  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 4, 2014 8:27:50 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
I too have never had this problem with vMix, although with other software ;)

Actually yesterday during a production we fed the HDMI output from our vMix laptop (Win 8.1) to another PC used to add live captions to a second live feed (not using vMix there). After about 20 minutes the other PC hung (never happened before). When we shut down the second PC the main monitor on the laptop flickered (black for <1 s) and, as Rehan points out, the Fullscreen went behind the laptops main monitor. When the second PC restarted the laptop monitor flicked again. We then turned its Fullscreen off then on again to get it out to the HDMI port. Within a minute the other PC was up and running again, using the video from the laptop's HDMI out.

Nothing was noticed in the live stream from the laptop or in the vMix recording of the event.
ask  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 4, 2014 5:46:50 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Richard and RJ. I think what you are seeing there is Windows handling the change in monitors due to a loss of HDMI sync. This behaviour will also happen if you have a splitter on the system and you add/change monitors. Not really a vMix issue but behaviour to be aware of.