logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sunkast  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 27, 2023 3:55:09 AM(UTC)
sunkast

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Support for 1080p vMix Call without needing vMix <> vMix
Management of audio/video sources of caller by vMix operator
Support for higher video bit rates
Show a preview/test screen to caller of their audio/video before joining a call
Record callers audio locally

It's 2023 and vMix Call is starting to look long in the tooth compared to some of the other alternatives out there. Namely support for 1080p calls at higher bit rates without needing the caller to use vMix to achieve. I love vMix and have been a big supporting over the years. But the lack of 1080p for callers who I have on regularly as hosts has me looking at alternatives to vMix Call. This has also opened my eyes to some of the other features that other alternatives have that vMix Call does not.

The 2nd biggest struggle I have with vMix Call is more often than not, the caller has the wrong camera and mic selected. Instructing them on how to change their sources, and reconnecting, is a real chore. One alternative I have been testing allows the operator to view the audio and video sources a caller has available. The operator makes the selection, then sends a request to the caller to confirm the change. It's easy and nearly seamless to the caller.

It would also be helpful to the caller if they can view and change if need be their audio and video selection before they join a call.

Finally one other thing I want to mention is that the vMix Call short URL that is generated in vMix takes the user to the more limited version with a banner that asks if they want to switch to the advanced site. Why isn't this the default? It's another case that makes using vMix Call for the end user more difficult due to the short URL taking them to an inferior version of vMix Call.
engelschall  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2023 8:28:00 PM(UTC)
engelschall

Germany

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I fully second the 1080p request. Also support for screen-sharing in parallel(!) to the camera (not instead) would be great.

An alternative (for both 1080p, a preview/test screen, parallel screen-sharing, etc) is to use the excellent VDO.Ninja instead. We use VDO.Ninja through my VDON-Call (https://github.com/rse/vdon-call) frontend, both directly inside a vMix Browser input or inside OBS Studio which then feeds vMix via NDI streams. We use vMix Call just for simple people ingests and VDON-Call for full-blown conference style events, etc.
thanks 1 user thanked engelschall for this useful post.
nikosman88 on 7/1/2023(UTC)
nikosman88  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2023 10:22:50 PM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 50 post(s)
+1
also if possible a android basic app. For now it in some android phones i see that is very difficult to work with browser permissions that vmix call require
thanks 1 user thanked nikosman88 for this useful post.
cibai7181 on 10/12/2023(UTC)
profitmedia  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 8, 2023 6:31:08 PM(UTC)
profitmedia

Poland

+1