logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
IceStream  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 26, 2014 8:47:21 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
After responding to this thread:

http://forums.vmix.com.a....aspx?g=posts&t=3044

I realized it had been a while since I have tried 'External Output', especially since upgrading to HD with vMix 12, and so I set to do some tests.
My primary desire is to record my Program output to my DVD recorder via Intensity Pro S-Video out.
Previously this worked fairly well with vMix SD, however, I seem to be having an issue getting it to work now.
(I am still waiting to hear back from BMD support on the issue as there seem to be some changes in the current literature compared to when I originally installed the card a few years ago... I will keep you posted)

vMix 14.0.0.102 x64 Master is set to NTSC 29.97p 1280x720
External Output:
vMix Video (Virtual) set to same size and frame rate
External Renderer set to NTSC 29.97p 720x480 with Intensity Pro as the device and SVideo as the port.

BMD Control Panel output set to Composite & S-Video / NTSC / HD to SD Letterbox

I can hear the audio, but no video coming through (tested the S-Video cable and it is fine)
I have tried several different settings for the 'External Renderer' and for BMD Control Panel to no avail.
I have also updated to the latest BMD drivers.

Have I perhaps missed or overlooked something?

Any insight, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
(Not that this is vital for me, but it is the main reason why I bought the card in the first place, and, as I said, it worked well for me in the past, I just haven't had the need to use it this way of late but certainly didn't anticipate having an issue).

Ice
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 27, 2014 10:17:34 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

My e-mail to BMD:

"Enquiry: I cannot seem to get a video feed out of my Intensity Pro through Composite or S-Video from vMixHD (1280x720 Streaming and 720x480 External Render) to feed my DVD recorder.
I've tried just about every setting permutation I could find but I must be missing something somewhere."

BMD initial response:

"Thank you for contacting us. 720 HD mixes will never pass over either S-Video or Composite as they support Standard Def only. Additionally you won't be able to split output and send one 1280x720 signal as well as an SD 720x480 signal. The Intensity can do an HD to SD down convert on playback but not on loop through while capturing.

Additionally we do not provide any direct support for vMixHD... can you try simply outputting a signal from Media Express to test?"

Obviously some confusion here, however, as per the suggestion, I proceeded to test with SD playback from BMD Media Express and still no S-Video Output!

I await their second response.

Ice
Egriswold  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 27, 2014 11:03:14 AM(UTC)
Egriswold

Man
United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Ice,
Was your hardware configuration?
how many intensity pro cards?

Don't let the BMD adjust output size.
Just set your external to the 720x480 59.94i
I know it sounds odd but there are 60 fields per second in NTSC
with drop frame it's 59.94 fields
See if that works for you

tdurhamjr  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 27, 2014 12:49:38 PM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
What about the HDMI output on the Intensity Pro?
yundin  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 27, 2014 4:36:55 PM(UTC)
yundin

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Try 480i in external output
Not 480p
IceStream  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 27, 2014 9:46:02 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ Egriswold

Just the one Intensity Pro card on i7 950 @ 3 GHz Windows 7 Pro x64 24GB Ram NVidia 470 and thanks for the input, however, changing to NTSC 59.94i yields no difference...

@ tdurhamjr

Unfortunately, I do not have an HDMI monitor readily available to test with, besides, my objective is to record to my DVD recorder which only has Composite and S-Video IN.

@ yundin

Other than following Ed's suggestion of using NTSC 59.94i, I see no option for selecting 480i over 480p...

Thanks guys for all your suggestions, as near as I can tell, all my settings are configured properly for the card to work, unless there is somewhere else to adjust settings that I have missed.
I fear the card has gone wonky or there is a bad driver somewhere since I am not getting a Composite or S-Video signal out, even with Blackmagic's Media Express software.
As stated, I have sent BMD a follow-up email and await their response on how to properly test the card.

Ice
tdurhamjr  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 28, 2014 8:52:24 AM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Ice
Did you change the BM settings in the control panel so that the output would be downgraded? You have to change the output settings in the BM settings in windows control panel. Svideo does not support HD. I thought the cable that comes with the intensity pro is Rgb and not composite.
The main thing is to change the output settings so that your output is downgraded to standard definition.
IceStream  
#8 Posted : Friday, November 28, 2014 11:02:06 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ tdurhamjr

I've tried it both ways, with no success and Martin has confirmed that I shouldn't have to downconvert since vMix is sending a 720x480 SD signal according to my settings for the 'External Renderer'.

The Intensity Pro breakout cable is Component (RGB) which which can be altered in BMD Control Panel for Composite (G) & S-Video (R-y B-y).
The funny thing is, and why I am hoping to talk to BMD Support, in my previous vMixSD set-up, if I remember correctly, in order to get a S-Video signal out I had to connect (B-y G) to (G B-y) to the S-Video splitter as opposed to using the R-y B-y connectors (at least that is how my cables were hooked up when I came back to it the other day...) In any event, I've tried just about every conceivable permutation with no luck.
Without being meticulously scientific about it, it's hard to be sure if I have tried every possible setting or not, but the bottom line is, with everything I've tried so far I just don't seem to be getting a Composite or S-Video signal out of the card. I don't know what else to do to test it...

Ice
IceStream  
#9 Posted : Sunday, December 7, 2014 4:04:35 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

It would appear, based on my interaction with BMD, that somehow the card must be faulty and they suggest I send it to them for testing. Of course, the card is more than a year old so it would not be covered under warranty, so I don't quite see the benefit of shipping it back to them for testing. My gut feeling is that there is a conflicting driver somewhere with the various BMD softwares on my system and the various updates over the past year, so I may try a rolling back to earlier drivers if I get a chance. To be honest, BMD support over email was not that helpful overall and certainly didn't offer any suggestions other than settings and shipping it to them for testing.
As stated earlier, this is not a major deal breaker for me as the capture aspect of the card is still functioning properly and I haven't had the need for the output even though it was the reason I purchased the card in the first place.
I'd be curious to know if anyone knows if I can somehow test the card myself or 'locally'?
I will try to keep you all posted as to what I discover.

Ice
IceStream  
#10 Posted : Friday, December 12, 2014 4:58:08 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Final follow-up:

I did manage to roll back to earlier versions of the Blackmagic Design software (tedious process of un-installing and re-installing) assuming that this also rolls back the drivers, but I am not sure on this point.
In any event, the results were no different...
No signal from Composite or S-Video out with the various versions right back to the original that came with the purchase.

On top of this, I was also able to test the HDMI out to another monitor, which I am happy to report works perfectly. (Yay!)
The Component out, however, suffers the same ailment as the Composite... No signal.
I can only conclude from this that the analogue output from the card through the breakout cable is no longer functional. (please note: the inputs still work, just no output)
As much as would like to know why? I am afraid it will just have to be blamed on the "gremlins" of the electronics world.

I am just putting this out there as an instance of product failure that hopefully is isolated to just me, I would hate to think that it is a design flaw or widespread issue.

Ice
thepelell  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, December 17, 2014 4:44:51 PM(UTC)
thepelell

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
i have 2 intensity pro cards in my system and i remember i managed only once to get correct composite input. then suddenly i got black and white and non synched composite video input, and no output at all. hdmi in & out work fine. I just gave up with the composite nonsense of those cards.