logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DAScott  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 7, 2023 12:24:21 PM(UTC)
DAScott

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The Location option of "post on a page you manage" in Stream Settings > Destination: Facebook > Facebook Settings has suddenly gone missing after years of it being present. The ommision happened suddenly TODAY (May 6, 2023) in 26.0.0.42, so I updated to 26.0.0.44, with no change.

Yes. I followed the vMix provided directions of going to my personal FB Settings > Settings & Privacy > Business Integrations > Active and REMOVED the vMix permission entry (only app there), then logged OUT of FB (web browser), ran vMix, Enter Stream Settings, selected preset 2 using the 'Facebook' Destination preset, clicked the Facebook Settings button, Logged back into FB (vMix Oauth web page) and granted FULL access to vMix (manage your business, create and manage content on your page, read content posted on the page, show list of pages you manage, and publish video to your timeline on your behalf). Back in vMix, the Stream settings showed that I was logged in (Facebook profile pix shown), but in the Location drop down, the page I manage is NOT SHOWN! 'Share on your timeline' is the ONLY option.

As I said, this just happened TODAY. The 'page you manage' option USED to be listed and I could select the only page I have and stream to it just fine last week and years prior. The ONLY thing that has changed is how Facebook now forces me to SWITCH to this new PAGE PROFILE added to my account in order to do administrative actions. This change happened MONTHS ago and it didn't affect vMix whatsoever. Now it apparently does, because I deleted the vMix business integration entry AGAIN, switched to my Page Profile, and redid the steps above, but this time the vMix Oauth web page said I had to switch back to my personal profile to continue. I did. The result was the same back in vMix Stream settings... NO 'post on a page you manage' in the Location dropdown.

I'm at a complete loss. There's ZERO CURRENT info on this searching Google and this forum.

I DO NOT WANT to have to use the 'Custom RTMP' destination preset, which I just successfully tested, because it adds too much complexity to my already stressed out volunteer streaming operators. I do NOT want to first go to this Facebook Live setup page, enter the post info there, go back to vMix to start the stream, go back to FB web to wait for stream to be recognized, then click the Go Live button, then back to vMix to continue operations. I just want the Facebook location preset to freakin' WORK like it used to.

I've also scoured through my personal FB account settings and my Page 'account' settings to see if the page was blocked, filtered, or some other permission that would prevent it from being accessed by vMix Oauth connector. Couldn't see/find a thing. SO, here I am in this forum asking... what the heck is going on?
thanks 1 user thanked DAScott for this useful post.
pracchia on 5/8/2023(UTC)
doggy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 7, 2023 4:37:22 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DAScott Go to Quoted Post

I DO NOT WANT to have to use the 'Custom RTMP' destination preset, which I just successfully tested, because it adds too much complexity to my already stressed out volunteer streaming operators.

You will have to. Blame Facebook!
DAScott  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 7, 2023 11:13:43 PM(UTC)
DAScott

United States

After thinking more about this, I agree. Facebook has broken the vMix connector a couple times before. vMix devs had to either contact FB devs to figure out what they changed in the API, or looked themselves at the API to see what changed and fixed their (vMix) OAuth system to regain permission control. I sure the same happened here. So, Yes, FB changed their API again, making the vMix connector incompatible, thus vMix has to once again fix their OAuth system to accommodate FB.
pracchia  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 8, 2023 12:24:45 AM(UTC)
pracchia

The same thing happened to me too, since yesterday 6 May I can no longer go live on my facebook pages, in the "Destination" box I only see the option to choose between "my profile" or "groups" but I can't copy the my "Pages". I also don't want to switch to using "Custom RTMP" because given the many live streams I do every day it's more expensive.
I look forward to any news on this
doggy  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 8, 2023 1:29:35 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

vMix devs had to either contact FB devs to figure out what they changed in the API, or looked themselves at the API to see what changed and fixed their (vMix) OAuth system to regain permission control. I sure the same happened here. So, Yes, FB changed their API again, making the vMix connector incompatible, thus vMix has to once again fix their OAuth system to accommodate FB.

There is nothing vMix can do about when Facebook keep changes the acces and dont provide the info needed !
Again blame Facebook and not vMix ( if they could they would have allready)!
doggy  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 8, 2023 1:32:12 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Originally Posted by: pracchia Go to Quoted Post
I also don't want to switch to using "Custom RTMP" because given the many live streams I do every day it's more expensive.

Why would that be more expensive to stream to thee same free platform ( FB/YT) in a different way?
DAScott  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 8, 2023 2:00:53 AM(UTC)
DAScott

United States

I didn't say expensive. I didn't say cost. I said COMPLEXITY (your quote was not a verbatim copy/paste). Do you work with unskilled (as in NOT career video/graphic production) volunteers? Changing the ESTABLISHED training and operational procedures one week to the next creates utter confusion. They don't have degrees in computer science to figure these things out themselves. I'm the only person on the webcast crew that knows about RTMP servers, stream keys, etc. RE-training them is near impossible time-wise, as they have their own careers and lives, so it has to be done ON THE FLY the DAY OF production, as in literally less than one hour. And one at a time each week, since we only stream once a week. It's call logistics.
DAScott  
#8 Posted : Monday, May 8, 2023 2:20:54 AM(UTC)
DAScott

United States

Originally Posted by: doggy Go to Quoted Post
There is nothing vMix can do about when Facebook keep changes the acces and dont provide the info needed !
That assertion is true, but completely irrelevant. FB isn't going to change their API to be backward compatible with third-party apps. Nope. It's ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS 100% the other way around. It's in vMix's court to fix their destination connector to be compatible with FB. That's the DEFINITION of 3rd party. You are subservient to the 1st party, master.

doggy  
#9 Posted : Monday, May 8, 2023 3:55:24 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

I didn't say expensive. I didn't say cost. I said COMPLEXITY (your quote was not a verbatim copy/paste). .

realy , the partial quote was an exact copy/paste of your post
Quote:
I also don't want to switch to using "Custom RTMP" because given the many live streams I do every day it's more expensive.

Quote:
Do you work with unskilled (as in NOT career video/graphic production) volunteers? Changing the ESTABLISHED training and operational procedures one week to the next creates utter confusion. They don't have degrees in computer science to figure these things out themselves. I'm the only person on the webcast crew that knows about RTMP servers, stream keys, etc. RE-training them is near impossible time-wise, as they have their own careers and lives, so it has to be done ON THE FLY the DAY OF production, as in literally less than one hour. And one at a time each week, since we only stream once a week. It's call logistics.

WOW, I bet the volunteers like to hear that .(A Student Is Only As Good As His....)`

Maybe have a look at the existing stream (shortcut)functions also usable in a script , maybe even using a datasource to simplify the process ( one button press for the volunteer based on your preparation)
DAScott  
#10 Posted : Monday, May 8, 2023 4:12:42 AM(UTC)
DAScott

United States

I see the issue, doggy was quoting pracchia, who said nearly the identical same thing, but used the word expensive. So my apologies, doggy. You were replying to pracchia and I thought it was to me.

Regarding my teaching abilities, that was uncalled for. I was stating fact and explaining the hardship of training due to volunteer availability and familiarity with established protocol, NOT putting them down.
doggy  
#11 Posted : Monday, May 8, 2023 4:43:40 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

was stating fact and explaining the hardship of training due to volunteer availability and familiarity with established protocol, NOT putting them down.

Yes it is not easy but as a producer one can lighten the load using shortcuts, script etc . that is a vMix strongpoint , the flexibility to streamline a production.
Streamdecks and the icons are a good example to explain to volunteers what to press ( they dont need to know what is behind the process of a key, just when they need to press it ) just this or that picture. each production is different so the key is to simplify the control of ones production (yes takes a bit of extra time to come up with it but so worth it for many similar productions that follow )

As mentioned before there are some stream functions available so a good place to start with those
pracchia  
#12 Posted : Monday, May 8, 2023 5:57:29 AM(UTC)
pracchia

I see the issue, doggy was quoting pracchia, who said nearly the identical same thing, but used the word expensive. So my apologies, doggy. You were replying to pracchia and I thought it was to me.

Regarding my teaching abilities, that was uncalled for. I was stating fact and explaining the hardship of training due to volunteer availability and familiarity with established protocol, NOT putting them down.

Sorry I didn't want to write expensive but tiring (in Italian "dispendioso"), I use the automatic translator 🙏
djmoll  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2023 12:11:13 AM(UTC)
djmoll

Beginning May 6 we also stopped being able to stream from vMix 25 4K to Facebook with our church’s standard configuration. Nothing has changed with our computer or vMix configuration, as far as I know. I see a number of similar complaints in vMix Facebook groups.

I suspect Facebook made changes to their API, as they have done in the past.😕

Any official word from vMix on this? Based on multiple reports of this problem, I’m reluctant to try to debug our setup yet, especially if vMix is hopefully going to address this.

Thanks,
David

DAScott  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2023 2:28:19 AM(UTC)
DAScott

United States

vMix Support Ticket "[0B2-2BEAFB45-0253] vMix: Facebbok Destination connector broken (Again)" created and acknowledged. Of course, Heath's workaround is to use Custom RTMP destination (getting server and key from FB Live setup page), but he also said FB has to fix whatever they did on their end. Oh well... chicken or the egg situation.
cdaelim  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2023 6:47:07 AM(UTC)
cdaelim

United States

I am having the same issue. It was working great on Friday. My guess something was changed on Sunday. I am not able to see my church page on the vmix settings, however, I can see my other private pages. It's so weird. Let me know if someone finds a solution. I will be playing with the settings this week.
djmoll  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2023 10:34:32 AM(UTC)
djmoll

Originally Posted by: djmoll Go to Quoted Post
Beginning May 6 we also stopped being able to stream from vMix 25 4K to Facebook with our church’s standard configuration. Nothing has changed with our computer or vMix configuration, as far as I know. I see a number of similar complaints in vMix Facebook groups.

I suspect Facebook made changes to their API, as they have done in the past.😕

Any official word from vMix on this? Based on multiple reports of this problem, I’m reluctant to try to debug our setup yet, especially if vMix is hopefully going to address this.

Thanks,
David

For what it is worth . . .

My Facebook streaming is now working again, as of this afternoon (May 8). I didn't change anything in my configuration.

David
thanks 1 user thanked djmoll for this useful post.
g-mo on 5/9/2023(UTC)
DAScott  
#17 Posted : Saturday, May 13, 2023 7:55:36 AM(UTC)
DAScott

United States

Confirmed. "On a Page you manage" now appears in the FB Destination > FB Settings > Location drop down menu. I will mark the Support Ticket [0B2-2BEAFB45-0253] as resolved/closed.