logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BoxMan_Actual  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 19, 2023 8:52:31 AM(UTC)
BoxMan_Actual

Groups: Registered
United States

Hi, I'm moving my team from OBS to vMix as we mature. I had a lot of questions as I built up our broadcast, and I've answered quite a few of them myself. These are things that I just can't seem to get a clear answer to. I am new, so please forgive if I didn't provide enough context/information for my questions. Thanks for any help.

"Simple" Questions
  • Is this the best place for answers? It seems like it. I've watched several vMix YouTube videos, paid for a course on Udemy, and gone through the Reddit. This is the best resource?
  • With vMix, do I need an RTMP server running? The documentation says "Refer to the documentation of the streaming server for the correct URL format for your particular stream.", so I'm guessing yes, but people have told me otherwise.
  • We chase severe weather, with guys sending in SRT streams using Larix Broadcaster. In our old OBS build, when the guys would lose signal, the video would disappear, and we'd have a "Lost Signal" message behind it, which worked well. However, vMix seems to freeze on the last frame that came in before losing signal, which we don't like. Is this a bug, or do I need to set some automation to monitor the stream and change when then signal is lost?
  • We have a scrolling ticker and I can't seem to get the damn thing to be smooth. The project is 1080p60.

Deeper Questions
  • During streams, we have present several windows running on the stream pc. The only method that seems to work for this somewhat is Local Desktop Capture using Windows Capture Method - Default. However there are two problems that come from this - 1) the frame rate that is captured seems to be low, and 2) If a program is closed or moved, there doesn't seem to be a simple way to 'reconnect' it to the created Input. I suppose we can just leave all the windows open and never move them, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something.
  • Without really doing too much in vMix, I'm seeing the GPU Mem is at 74%. I'm wondering if this is why I'm not having smooth frame rates in Window Capture and the scrolling ticker. My specs are below, which seem to be enough to run vMix well. Is it possible that this is because I'm running Windows 11?

Processor : AMD Ryzen 9 7900X Processor (12X 4.7GHz/64MB L3 Cache)
Processor Cooling : iBUYPOWER 240mm Addressable RGB Liquid Cooler - Black - [Free Upgrade to iBUYPOWER DEEPCOOL GAMERSTORM RGB 240mm CASTLE 240EX Liquid Cooler]
Memory : 32 GB [16 GB X2] DDR5-6000MHz Memory Module - Corsair Dominator (RGB LED)
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 - 10GB GDDR6X (VR-Ready) - Free Upgrade to MSI Gaming Z Trio
Motherboard : MSI PRO X670-P WIFI - Wifi 6E, ARGB Header (2), USB 3.2 Ports (1 Type-C, 6 Type-A), M.2 Slot (3)
Power Supply : 850 Watt - 80 PLUS Gold Certified PCIe GEN 5
Primary Storage : 4TB WD Black SN850X M.2 PCIe Gen 4 NVMe SSD -- Gen 4 Read: 7300 MB/s, Write: 6600 MB/s, Gen 3 Read: 3500 MB/s, Write: 3500 MB/s
Secondary Storage : 1TB WD Blue SATA SSD -- Read: 545MB/s, Write: 525MB/s
Media Card Reader / Writer : Kingston USB 3.0 High Speed Media Reader
Sound Card : 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card : Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
Operating System : Windows 11 Home w/ Windows Recovery USB - (64-bit)

Thanks for any thoughts/guidance.
nikosman88  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 19, 2023 11:41:27 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Hello. Yes the places you say, are a good resource to learn things. Also you can do things by your own and try to see what happens. Also this forum contains a lot of information about things around vmix. If you are using vmix for live streaming yes it need rtmp server or a service that can make your show go to internet. You can use the same one service provider as obs.
Yes about srt unfortunatelly this is by vmix design. Maybe can be done something with scripting or a trigger but im not sure about this
No it is not from 74% gpu your problem. Im using a 1050ti and even in 100% tickers are smooth. For window capture also smooth but i prefer to bring this way of input via ndi from another pc. See your render times. https://www.vmix.com/kno...nosing-high-render-times and https://www.vmix.com/kno...2/optimising-performance and if not yet select high input performance mode or because your GPU supports resizeable bar for even better memory handling from vmix so you can try to enable it and see what happens.https://www.vmix.com/knowledgebase/article.aspx/309/improving-gpu-performance-in-vmix-with-resizable-bar-support
This is more important from the % number of GPU. If render time is too high for your preset, you will have problems. And windows 11 maybe is problem..
thanks 1 user thanked nikosman88 for this useful post.
BoxMan_Actual on 4/19/2023(UTC)
BoxMan_Actual  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 19, 2023 12:14:42 PM(UTC)
BoxMan_Actual

United States

Thank you very much for these links. Much appreciated! Hope I don't need another PC to get smooth window capture performance! I'll use the resources you linked to and search this forum for more. Thanks again