logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mike at SOTC  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 9, 2023 1:38:06 AM(UTC)
Mike at SOTC

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
My vMix calls need video delay in my current setup. I know that this is not a current feature and I'm hoping it can be in future updates.

However, maybe someone out there has a better setup suggestion for me but I'll now explain:

I do not use the vMix audio mixer to immediately send Vmix Call audio to the stream. On the contrary, I accept vmix calls and immediatley route the audio out one of the vMix audio Buses to a channel on an external audio mixer. Then I pre-mix everything with music etc...and send the program audio back through a vMix audio input and then stream it to the intenret. This creates a lipsync problem between the vMix video that is immediately streamed and the audio which is delayed by our setup.

HERE IS A REVIEW OF OUR VMIX AUDIO PATH:
Vmix Call is received -> Audio is routed immediately through a vMix BUS to an external audio mixer
Program Audio Output from the external mixer -> Is Routed back into a vMix input and sent out for streaming

Do other people out there use external audio boards for vmix calls or does everyone just mix the audio within vmix? If so, how do you delay the video?

note: We need all the audio to go to the external board, because we also broadcast our shows for radio.

Thanks
Mike Buttino
The Station of the Cross Catholic Media Network
www.TheStationofthecross.com
mavik  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 9, 2023 2:16:10 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 148 post(s)
The easiest setup would be to use the calls as is in vMix. Add the callers to a Bus like now and send that bus output to your audio desk. Create a mix minus at the desk that includes everything but not the calls and input it into vmix. This way vMix uses the callers natively, and you can use them for the radio, and you get the audio from the desk to be used in streams and records.

Mike at SOTC  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 9, 2023 3:28:32 AM(UTC)
Mike at SOTC

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: mavik Go to Quoted Post
The easiest setup would be to use the calls as is in vMix. Add the callers to a Bus like now and send that bus output to your audio desk. Create a mix minus at the desk that includes everything but not the calls and input it into vmix. This way vMix uses the callers natively, and you can use them for the radio, and you get the audio from the desk to be used in streams and records.

Mavik..

Thanks. But, I need to turn up and down the audio for the vmix callers...which is too hard to do in vmix since we are already mixing on the extenal console. Are you suggesting something different?

My console does not control vmix audio channels.

Mike
mavik  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 9, 2023 4:38:05 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 148 post(s)
I guess the delay isn't that much finally. Have you tried to enable NDI on the output and insert that as a source (attention of a possible loop). The NDI is already a bit delayed at my end. If that isn't enough you can further delay the NDI in the advanced input settings.
Mike at SOTC  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 9, 2023 6:15:58 AM(UTC)
Mike at SOTC

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: mavik Go to Quoted Post
I guess the delay isn't that much finally. Have you tried to enable NDI on the output and insert that as a source (attention of a possible loop). The NDI is already a bit delayed at my end. If that isn't enough you can further delay the NDI in the advanced input settings.

I'll try doing the vMix Call to NDI trick and see how that works.

So are you delaying your vMix calls like I want to in this manner?

Thank you
Mike
Hypohamish  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 9, 2023 11:43:09 PM(UTC)
Hypohamish

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
NDI the video of the callers back in - you can delay that (on the settings of the input > Advanced, choose a frame delay and hit apply). Every caller is available as an NDI source if you turn it on the global vMix settings.

Enjoy the absolute wild fun that is figuring out how delayed the audio is compared to the video! You can only adjust by whole frames in the video delay :)
Mike at SOTC  
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 11, 2023 12:21:12 AM(UTC)
Mike at SOTC

Man
United States

Ok, thank you for your suggestions. I'm converting the vMix Calls to NDI and then using those NDI sources to add video delay. Its working!
AbdullahMajid  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2023 9:20:08 PM(UTC)
AbdullahMajid

Pakistan

There is currently no built-in video delay for vMix Calls. However, there are a few workarounds that you can use to achieve a similar effect.

One workaround is to use a separate video delay device. This could be a hardware device, such as a video switcher or delay unit, or it could be a software application, such as OBS Studio. Once you have connected your video delay device to vMix, you can route your vMix Calls input to the delay device and then route the output of the delay device to a vMix Input.

Another workaround is to use a virtual camera. A virtual camera is a software application that creates a fake video feed that can be used as a source in vMix. There are a number of different virtual camera applications available, such as ManyCam and OBS Studio. To use a virtual camera to create a video delay, you would simply need to route your vMix Calls input to the virtual camera and then set the delay on the virtual camera.

Here are some specific instructions on how to use OBS Studio to create a video delay for vMix Calls:

Open OBS Studio and create a new scene.
Add your vMix Calls input to the scene.
Click the "+" button in the "Sources" section and select "Video Delay."
In the "Video Delay" settings, set the delay time in milliseconds.
Click "OK" to create the video delay.
Add the "Video Delay" source to the scene.
Click the "Start Streaming" button to start streaming the video delay to vMix.
Once you have started streaming the video delay to vMix, you can add the "Video Delay" input to your vMix production. You can then use the video delay to create effects such as replaying highlights or delaying the video feed to match the audio feed.

I hope this information is helpful.
thanks 1 user thanked AbdullahMajid for this useful post.
Mike at SOTC on 9/20/2023(UTC)