logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Soapm  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 1, 2023 4:09:19 PM(UTC)
Soapm

Groups: Registered
United States

Is there anyway to tell the actual resolution and frame rate of the camera's connected to vMix?

We have to camera's that are connected through HDMI extenders then capture cards into the USB 3.0 ports of the computer. We just want to make sure the video is reaching vMix as 1080p60?

We have the input set for 1080p60, but how do we know if the signal has that resolution?
mavik  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 1, 2023 6:32:27 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 148 post(s)
Check the information in the general tab of the input.
Check the cam to send the resolution you want.
If the cam send the resolution and the capture card provides that resolution in vMix (see above) you then need to make sure your project has the correct settings (buttom left of vMix) as well.
Soapm  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 6, 2023 5:04:56 PM(UTC)
Soapm

United States

Originally Posted by: mavik Go to Quoted Post
Check the information in the general tab of the input.
Check the cam to send the resolution you want.
If the cam send the resolution and the capture card provides that resolution in vMix (see above) you then need to make sure your project has the correct settings (buttom left of vMix) as well.

When you say bottom left to check the project, can you post a screenshot. I can't figure out what you mean...

To add to my story, today our streams as well as our sanctuary monitors looked so choppy they were hard to watch. This is why I wanted to be sure our camera's were getting there as 1080p. Something told me to click that little color bar in this image, to over from the one they have circled, and our cameras were dropping frames like nobodies business. The count seemed to rise 20 frames per refresh (must be per second) of the numbers. To stop our camera's from dropping massive frames, I had to drop each camera input down to 640x480 29p which as you can imagine, looks like crap but the picture finally flowed smoothly.

Color Bar

What could we be doing wrong? We have 1080p camera's, with 4k capture cards so I can't understand why vMix would drop frames like that on the input. Any idea where I should begin looking to see why this is happening?

Just to test it we ran the camera's at the same 1080p into zoom and they appear fine. No problems there?
kevin340  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 7, 2023 10:54:15 AM(UTC)
kevin340

United States

On the camera input, click the gear icon bottom right. When the window opens on the top right of that window below change input it should indicate what frame rate and resolution the unput is.
paco3346  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 7, 2023 11:01:46 AM(UTC)
paco3346

United States

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 31 post(s)
You're most likely choking the USB hub (on the motherboard).

If you want multiple 1080p60 cameras you'll probably struggle until you either go PCIe or Thunderbolt (which itself is PCIe).

What happens if you unplug all but 1 camera input? Keep adding 1 by 1 until you start to see dropped frames.

Your motherboard may also have multiple onboard hubs for each group of ports. Try spreading the capture cards around so that it's 1 per hub. Windows device manager can show the topology (if you change the view) to help determine this.
Soapm  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 7, 2023 4:48:20 PM(UTC)
Soapm

United States

Originally Posted by: paco3346 Go to Quoted Post
You're most likely choking the USB hub (on the motherboard).

If you want multiple 1080p60 cameras you'll probably struggle until you either go PCIe or Thunderbolt (which itself is PCIe).

What happens if you unplug all but 1 camera input? Keep adding 1 by 1 until you start to see dropped frames.

Your motherboard may also have multiple onboard hubs for each group of ports. Try spreading the capture cards around so that it's 1 per hub. Windows device manager can show the topology (if you change the view) to help determine this.

Roger that, I'll be at the church tomorrow to give it a try. Thanks.

Soapm  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 7, 2023 4:50:54 PM(UTC)
Soapm

United States

Originally Posted by: kevin340 Go to Quoted Post
On the camera input, click the gear icon bottom right. When the window opens on the top right of that window below change input it should indicate what frame rate and resolution the unput is.

Ok, I know where you're at now but that's not the actual camera resolution, that's the resolution we set when we added the camera. I was hoping to find out if the camera was operating as advertised...

I figured out the problem with the dropped frames, it was the video format. I was letting it default which apparently didn't match the capture card but I found using MJPG greatly reduces the dropped frames.
Soapm  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 8, 2023 11:24:05 AM(UTC)
Soapm

United States

Got her done thanks to your help in understanding the problem, what I did was removed one camera and installed the other in vMix then reversed it. Plugged them both in and presto, it's all working with just a minimum of dropped frames. We have a funeral at the church on Saturday where I will see how it looks in action with the streaming and everything else turned on. If it is choppy then, I will reduce the resolution until the Lenovo can handle it.

Thanks again...