logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TobiBats  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2023 9:52:42 PM(UTC)
TobiBats

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Hi all,

I am hosting an event with 4 people in person (using mics) and 2 people using vmix call (seperately) to join. We are then recording and livestreaming this through vmix.
The people in the call's audio will feed to the audience and panel members in the hall via our speakers.
The people in the call will receive audio via the mics connected to our sounddesk.

However, there will be quite an echo as our soundesk feeds into a focusrite then into the computer so all the sound is as one, everything coming through the mics as well as the call audio will go back to the people in the call.

I hope I have explained this well, feel free to ask questions.

Can anyone think of a solution?
mtone  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2023 11:15:45 PM(UTC)
mtone

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
what model desk is it ? if it has AUX sends you could use those like a typical monitor send.
thanks 1 user thanked mtone for this useful post.
TobiBats on 3/1/2023(UTC)
TobiBats  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2023 11:41:05 PM(UTC)
TobiBats

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: mtone Go to Quoted Post
what model desk is it ? if it has AUX sends you could use those like a typical monitor send.

Its a qu16, I'll have a try
mtone  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 1, 2023 12:00:57 AM(UTC)
mtone

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
those digital consoles dont have traditional AUX sends but you could achieve the same result with the mix outs..

otherwise another alternative (possibly easier) would be connect the QU16 to your PC via USB and route the 4x room mics to vMIx from the QU16 USB send.. so the idea is the callers and the 4x room mics are all running into the console and into the PA.. (so everyone hears everything in the hall)

then assign the 4x room mics out the QU16 USB back to Vmix and only send those channels back to the callers... this means the callers are getting the 4x mics but not their own audio looping back... doing this with USB is essentially the same idea as the AUX send... if you have to use the focusrite though and not connect the QU16 i could let you know the AUX method..

also a good idea would be to use cardioid mics for the 4x people in the room and try not to directly face the PA speakers... when the callers talk through the PA there will likely still be some spill into the 4x room mics which would still loop back to them a bit. with the right mics and setup though it would go a long way to minimizing that..

if you still find you are getting a lot of echo after that you could potentially look at adding audio gate to the room mics..
thanks 1 user thanked mtone for this useful post.
mavik  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 1, 2023 6:20:48 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
I highly recommend mixing at one place not two.
Take a look at the AMM. This will make your life easier. Run the mics directly and the calls via a Bus using USB into the QU AMM. Master into PA and vMix. I would add a talkback for the callers to queue them. I made a video for this. Feel free to watch. It's a different mixer but should give you some ideas.
thanks 1 user thanked mavik for this useful post.
TobiBats  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 2, 2023 8:28:46 PM(UTC)
TobiBats

United Kingdom

It's not the perfect solution but I temporarily did this and it works pretty well.
Don't send the computer audio back to the computer, it's not neccesary. Only send the room audio/mics to the Vmix.
In VMix it is set that the Call goes to the Master Bus and that the callers can hear the Master Bus but it automatically takes out their own audio (a n-1 setup).
I then sent the callers to the C Bus (for example) and didn't send the in room audio, I set this to playback into the room.

I will look into a more permanent solution after this event. The biggest caveats are that I will have to mute the callers if we need to play a video etc.
mavik  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 3, 2023 8:19:11 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
If you mix in vMix make use of busses. They really help you to split stuff and oversee things
Master = record + stream
A = Audio from callers, enable M when call is live
B = Audio to callers, no M
C = to Audio Desk, no M

input 1 = Room only -> M,B (mute B when talkback)
input calls = A, enable C when input is live
talkback = B, solo A to focus
Video = M, B, C

Audio desk setup
Mics into inputs, AMM enabled, send to Aux1
Bus C from vmix, AMM enabled
Aux1 into vMix
thanks 2 users thanked mavik for this useful post.
TobiBats on 3/3/2023(UTC), LivestreamNW on 5/17/2023(UTC)
LivestreamNW  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2023 2:35:03 PM(UTC)
LivestreamNW

Man
United States

This is new to me and just solved an issue I had. I could run a Zoom drone, but that requires another laptop