logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
luthierwnc  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2014 4:54:40 PM(UTC)
luthierwnc

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi All,

I'm trying out vMix to start doing podcasts for my business. I'm having a difficult time getting the audio right. I'm using a Logitech C920 cam and want to bring in audio using a Scarlett 2i2 audio interface with a lav mic and a short shotgun. I'm just sitting in a chair so neither video or audio is very complex.

I've read as many posts as I can on this but still can't get things right. First I input the camera. The "input" and "video format" go to default but I'm not sure I should leave them that way. Audio device is listed as none. Then I add the Scarlett as the input device. It is also USB although I'm using a different port. I've tried putting the Scarlett as the audio device when adding the camera. I've put them in separately. I've tried lots of other settings and I'm still getting no sound.

At this point, all of the VU meters are active. If I run the Scarlett through my computer I can hear things fine. The audio settings are dimed on the Windows drivers and on the mMix settings. When I record, the VU meters still look fine but there is no sound on the file, which is MPEG-2 TS.

I'm sure this is simple but it escapes me. If someone could suggest a way to get this rolling, I'd be much obliged,

Cheers, sh

i5-3330 chip 8 GB RAM
Win7 64-bit
SSD and HDD
dedicated GPU
Audio Technica AT875r and AT3350 lav
3-monitors (one via UBS)
tdurhamjr  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2014 5:11:57 PM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Make sure when you add the C920 that you select NO AUDIO for that camera during the initial input setup.

Once you have added your Audio input (Scarlett), you need to click the Audio button to send it to the Master. Otherwise you have no sound.
tdurhamjr attached the following image(s):
Audio-Setup.jpg (123kb) downloaded 6 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
luthierwnc  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2014 1:10:16 PM(UTC)
luthierwnc

That's how I have been doing it but the audio is so faint that the headphones have to be maxed to hear it. I made some screen shots and attached them below.

In loading the webcam I've tried, none, the Scarlett and the webcam audio. When adding the Scarlett I've used that as the input device with the audio button turned on and the cam turned off. I've tried them together. I've set audio at around 2/3 gain on all devices. The Windows drivers show the Scarlett as the default recording device and the VU meter next to it works well when receiving mic input from the Scarlett. While recording the audio mixer shows strong volumes on the main buss, recording VU and in the one along side the recorded image -- the video is excellent, BTW.

I have a little Topping TP20 amp plugged into the headphone jack in the back of the computer for sound and that is the default playback device since it is hooked to the speakers. I set the Scarlett as the default headphone device. Just noodling around with the settings and the Topping on it is plenty loud and sounds fine so the Scarlett and mic's are pumping sound into the computer. Listening is turned off but it does play through the stereo anyway as the default output device.

One thing that has me totally confused (not rare) is the diagram in the user guide on Recording Audio that shows cameras going into the PC and a speaker out from the PC going to the audio mixer and then back to the computer. The little Scarlett only has two inputs and they are both being used. It has left and right outputs and monitor/headphone outs too. Both the camera and the interface are USB 2.0 devices. I've tried using a USB mic as well with the same results.

I'm sure I'm close. Please keep those suggestions coming in. Thanks, sh

luthierwnc attached the following image(s):
vMix recording screen.jpg (40kb) downloaded 11 time(s).
vMix mixer.jpg (40kb) downloaded 8 time(s).
vMix webcam setup.jpg (50kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
vMix recording setup.jpg (67kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

ovinas  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2014 2:46:50 PM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
luthierwnc wrote:
...I set the Scarlett as the default headphone device...

Change this to your on board audio device because your headphone amp is connected to this.
A screenshot of vMix-->Settings-->Audio Outputs would be useful.
luthierwnc  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2014 10:03:58 PM(UTC)
luthierwnc

I've got the red-eye to Chicago tomorrow but will be back in the office Monday and will give that a try -- and post results, Cheers, sh
luthierwnc  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 18, 2014 4:28:27 PM(UTC)
luthierwnc

I changed the headphone to the default device. Audio levels are fine on the computer sound system but still barely audible with vMix. Here are the settings:

One thing that puzzles me is that the VU meter only shows the right input. I've tried 2 channels, 1 channel, dual mono and it only shows one bar. From my musical experience, a single mono out is almost always plugged into the left side. In looking at Tom Sinclair's YouTube vid he entered the mic as the audio input device and got both sides of the meter indicating. I didn't see anything on the Win 7 onboard setup that gives you the choice of whether mono input is on the right or left channel.

If there is a tutorial or do-this guide for the basic setups, I'd love to read it. I had no idea that getting a USB audio input device into the mix would be so touchy.

Cheers, sh
luthierwnc attached the following image(s):
Settings Audio.jpg (156kb) downloaded 6 time(s).

admin  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 18, 2014 10:23:54 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4166 time(s) in 1497 post(s)
Hi,

vMix takes the audio from the USB device as is without processing it (by default).
So the first step is to make sure the audio is connected up correctly, perhaps do a test recording
with something like Audacity first. You may need to turn up the gain controls on the scarlett to get a good signal into Windows.

You can also increase the gain of the audio in vMix by clicking the cog icon in the audio mixer, but it is recommended
to get a good signal at the source first.

You can also change the input to SeparateMono in the cog icon settings, if you are only using one mono microphone.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
luthierwnc  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2014 11:13:28 AM(UTC)
luthierwnc

I think I got it:

The Webcam had defaults with the audio selected as none. Inside the cog it is automatically mixing the audio. The audio button on the input display is off.

The Scarlett (which inputs two mono mic's and are mixed in the box) was chosen as the audio device at 48khz. The lav is on the instrument setting and the XLR is at line level. +48v phantom power is on. In the Windows drivers, the Scarlett is selected as the default recording device and the gain is dimed.

In Settings, the Audio Outputs the Master Output is the Scarlett and for headphones I'm using the default Windows Playback Device. In the Audio section (and this was probably the problem before) I'm using vMix Audio in the Recording Audio. I'd had the Scarlett in there before.

I saved the preset.

Thanks to everyone who contributed. Expect better questions in the near future :) sh