logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JohnnyBG  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2023 1:06:04 AM(UTC)
JohnnyBG

Groups: Registered

I would like to use NDI but not sure where to start. I have a desktop for vMix and a laptop for PowerPoint. They are connected via an HDMI cable from the laptop to a capture card in the desktop. Both computers are on the same network. We have one NDI camera for input into vMix.
All the YouTube videos are for OBS, so that does not help me.
Do I need an NDI software? Which one? (there are a few). All the vMix help tutorials do not mention NDI software or drivers (we don't use any for our NDI camera).
paco3346  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2023 2:41:12 AM(UTC)
paco3346

United States

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 31 post(s)
JohnnyBG  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2023 6:58:36 AM(UTC)
JohnnyBG

I think I figured it out. Using the NDI Tools, there are several choices, but the one that seems to work is "Screen Capture". I may have missed it, but I did not see anywhere in the vMix tutorials or the various YouTube videos that said to use Screen Capture.
paco3346  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2023 10:05:28 AM(UTC)
paco3346

United States

Are you wanting to use NDI for both the camera and the laptop?

You'd mentioned that you already have a capture card installed in the desktop with the laptop plugged into it. If so, I'd recommend using hardware input like that instead of NDI as it'll be less load on both machines.
JohnnyBG  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2023 10:23:30 AM(UTC)
JohnnyBG

Here is a little more on the hardware: The desktop has a Magewell Quad capture card. There are 3 PTZ cameras connected via HDMI. The laptop is connected via HDMI to the fourth port on the Magewell. There is a fourth PTZ camera that is connected via NDI (on our network). I would like to use the one HDMI port on the laptop to run a confidence monitor on the stage. I can only do that if I connect the laptop to the desktop via NDI (instead of HDMI).
When we currently run vMix during broadcast, vMix reports the CPU/GPU total at about 40%.
paco3346  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2023 12:13:46 AM(UTC)
paco3346

United States

Ah, this makes sense.

A few options here:

1. Use vMix's desktop capture software. It's essentially a slimmed down & reskinned version of the NDI tools Scan Converter. https://cdn.vmix.com/dow...MixDesktopCaptureNDI.zip

2. Use NewTek's NDI tools Scan Converter.

3. If you only ever use PowerPoint you can use ykxwong's PowerPoint plugin for NDI. This is really cool as you preserve transparency (so you can do lower thirds), guarantees you never accidentally send anything other than PowerPoint, and is more performance because it generates the image directly from PowerPoint data and doesn't have to screenscrape off the GPU buffer. https://github.com/ykhwong/ppt-ndi