logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LucaL  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2023 11:28:04 PM(UTC)
LucaL

Groups: Registered
Canada

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I am looking for a backup PC with a very small form factor. I currently use a decent Laptop for this job, but I want to integrate the computer permanently into my rig.

I'm already doing the switching on a blackmagic ATEM witch would be connected to the NUC via USB.

The Vmix instance would be used for titles and some very light graphic overlays and for 1080p Encoding/Streaming.

Ideally, it would have 2xHDMI out so I can use the Fullscreen feature to send the Program out to an Hyperdeck mini for recording.

I have +or- 500$ budget for this and would love to get opinions and suggestions about feasibility, brands and models!

Thanks

-L
mavik  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2023 11:58:30 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 148 post(s)
The problem is where do you start and stop of a backup. What do you do if the ATEM fails, what if the PC....anyway.
A backup encoding in that price range can only be done by hardware encoders. Kiloview would fi into that range. The E series I have in my mind. In terms of adding bonding and network "backup" you might want to look at the P series but that will be almost twice your budget.
LucaL  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 11, 2023 12:18:12 AM(UTC)
LucaL

Canada

Originally Posted by: mavik Go to Quoted Post
The problem is where do you start and stop of a backup. What do you do if the ATEM fails, what if the PC....anyway.

I understand exactly what you are saying. I am already using a powerful PC tower running VMIX with a 4x IN Decklink card for my main production system.

The ATEM and the mini PC would be together essentially as another standalone system, plugged in and ready to go.

It just needs it to be small, light and as budget friendly as it is logically possible to encode and stream 1080p
mjgraves  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 11, 2023 1:30:34 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Intel Quick Sync is still a thing. It can handle one hardware encode at least. That means any relatively high-end (i7) NUC would be ok.

I did a test some years back using a laptop with an i5-3xxx series CPU and GMA4000 GPU. That's about 12 years old now. It was barely able to handle 1080p30. So any new NUC shoud be able to cope.
LucaL  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 11, 2023 1:59:50 AM(UTC)
LucaL

Canada

I was looking at this ... It is an AMD CPU though

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B1WX25TV