logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
alexwhite  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 9, 2023 8:23:47 PM(UTC)
alexwhite

Groups: Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Hi All

I'm looking to cluster a two rack mounted PC's in Proxmox VE (virtual environment).

The idea is that I can reuse my environments for both professional and personal work and make the most of newly acquired hardware.
I use my current PC for all my professional and personal work i.e. audio mixing with Cubase, development, MS office apps, video editing etc. etc.
This clearly is far from ideal and I want to strip each VM down to its basic software components and needs.

Has anyone had any virtualisation experience on local hardware for vMix.
If so what were the struggles, considerations?

Thanks

Alex
paco3346  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2023 3:10:10 AM(UTC)
paco3346

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 31 post(s)
I've run vMix on ESXi and it works but with some caveats.

PCIe passthru can be an absolute pain, especially for hardware that's not typically used in virtualized environments (like a Decklink card- which is doable).

You need to make sure that the hypervisor's CPU scheduler puts _nothing_ else on the physical cores you're dedicating to your vMix VM.

Any weird issues you have with "the capture card had an issue and I need to restart vMix" are now "I need to reboot the entire host because the PCIe card doesn't have the ability to reset without an entire bus reset".

It's also worth noting that vMix has official documentation on running vMix in a VM so if you're not dealing with capture hardware you should have a good experience (whether local or cloud): https://www.vmix.com/kno...azon-ec2--quick-overview
thanks 1 user thanked paco3346 for this useful post.
alexwhite on 1/10/2023(UTC)