logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
on_call  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2023 1:42:06 PM(UTC)
on_call

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I am on Windows 11, and I am having issues with File Explorer and my vMix AVI files from a recent project. Every time I open a folder containing the original recorded files, File Explorer hangs, try to do anything and it will crash. If I let it do its thing, it will recover and I can click a file, let it think, then move a file, etc. These are 50gb files, and I have 16 of them in a single folder. These are 50gb files, and separating them into folders of four doesn't seem to help.

This is the behavior on 3 different fresh Windows 11 machines, both 22H2 and pre-22H2 update. Good quality M.2 drives of multiple different makes. After converting the files with the vMix Media Converter, the behavior is exactly the same. I am now in the process of trying to convert those .mov files in Adobe Media Encoder and see what works.

The strange thing is that I have folders with equal size and similar numbers of files, but Windows File Explorer doesn't hang like this elsewhere. What is going on? Is this a known behavior? These are fast computers with high end hardware and fresh operating systems. This is making vMix AVI a complete non-starter, unless there is a known Windows 11 causing this issue, which I wouldn't doubt.

Any thoughts?
dmwkr  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2023 8:35:12 PM(UTC)
dmwkr

Was thanked: 119 time(s) in 108 post(s)
Maybe try to disable the thumbnails in Windows Explorer.
on_call  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 6, 2023 1:40:44 AM(UTC)
on_call

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I'll try that when I get a chance. An interesting observation, I converted the vMix AVI files successfully with Adobe Media Encoder. Those files are around 150gb ProRes MOV's and they cause no File Explorer issues. The odd thing is that adding those files to the same folder that contains the vMix AVI files, the massive processing latency is gone.

There is no way I will be using vMix's conversion program again, and I can't see using their bespoke AVI file either, unfortunately, until this is investigated and corrected.

I will try disabling thumbnails, and I can understand how it might be the cause of the issue. Would be a very simple fix and a major oversight by vMix not just giving their AVI's a new filetype to avoid Windows freaking out. Problem is that any ProRes MOV files created by the vMix converter also cause File Explorer to hang or crash. Will update.
admin  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 6, 2023 7:30:15 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
Hi,

This is quite strange, I just ran a test now with a few vMix AVI files in Windows 11, and was able to view a folder with a number of recordings without any delays.

The files are normal AVI files, so I can only guess one of the following may be happening:

1. Some other AVI related codec or program is installed on those systems and causing a conflict.
2. Those particular recordings are an unusual resolution and/or audio channels that is tripping things up somehow.

I also wonder if there is one corrupt file in that folder causing the issue, and if you created some new recordings in a new folder it would be fine by comparison.

Feel free to drop an email to vMix Support for us to investigate further, giving us much detail as possible on how to replicate the issue.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
eduardocfs on 1/6/2023(UTC)