logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HighViewSport  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 8, 2014 2:27:57 AM(UTC)
HighViewSport

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hi,

Can anyone recommend really good quality webcams to use is a live production.
I am thinking to use for commentators and maybe 2 fixed cameras on a sports field. Any suggestion from experience would be appreciated

Cheers
Bryan
ask  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 8, 2014 3:22:51 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
A Logitech c920 is fine for commentators who tend to be static. I wouldn't use them for fast field action as they tend not to handle fast action/movement well. Use a traditional video camera instead.
GeorgeR  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 8, 2014 6:58:15 PM(UTC)
GeorgeR

Man

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Logitech c930e. It's a really nice cam; just do not use the audio from it. The colors are much more vibrant than the c920. On the downside (maybe), it has a wider field of view. The c930e is also certified for high-speed USB (USB 3.0). The c920 isn't certified for high-speed USB but will work on USB 3.0.
HighViewSport  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 9, 2014 9:50:58 PM(UTC)
HighViewSport

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Thanks all for the great input and suggestions. Appreciate it!
allayit  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2014 9:26:41 AM(UTC)
allayit

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I've just purchased Logitech C930E webcams, and like others using vMix software, have found problems rendering at the full framerate.

Real shame as the quality of the image is exceptional.

Other streaming apps (can I mention Wirecast?) do not seem to have the same problem with this camera.

Has any progress been made on finding out the root cause of this issue?

Seriously considering a vMix 4K purchase but this is a show stopper at the moment.

p.s. Purchased the webcams before discovering vMix or I would have bought a C920 as a stop gap!
admin  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2014 6:28:48 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4166 time(s) in 1497 post(s)
Try some of the different formats under the "Video Format" dropdown box in the Camera window.

vMix prefers high quality video formats which can have a slower frame rate on most webcams.
You can try lower quality options such as H264 or MJPG and see if they work. Note the H264 format has a delay
but this should be the same as other apps.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
tdurhamjr  
#7 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2014 11:04:42 PM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
I too use the Logitech C920 to capture our commentators. I have several very inexpensive Sony CX220 cameras that I use as fixed cameras (1 on scoreboard, 2 on each end of basketball court) and 2 GoPros as goal cams. I use a Sony CX900 to follow game but switch to the CX220's when saving or pulling up an Instant Replay. I have been very happy with the video from the CX220's. They output 720 60p via HDMI and you can use a $50 HDMI to SDI converter. If you do not have a video capture card then you can get a Hauppauge HD60 (USB device). I would think that for any sports the webcams are going to have far to wide a view, but maybe not.
tnorrell  
#8 Posted : Sunday, December 7, 2014 11:51:09 PM(UTC)
tnorrell

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
tdurhamjr wrote:
I have several very inexpensive Sony CX220 cameras that I use as fixed cameras (1 on scoreboard, 2 on each end of basketball court) and 2 GoPros as goal cams.

How are you using the goPro cameras in a switching environment? Can you bring them in as a net source over WiFi? How do you keep them powered up over the course of an entire game? I have the GP Hero 3 Black, and I don't know that it would stay powered up for an entire game if it's wifi was on.

Thanks.
Ittaidv  
#9 Posted : Monday, December 8, 2014 6:45:59 AM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
tnorrell wrote:
tdurhamjr wrote:
I have several very inexpensive Sony CX220 cameras that I use as fixed cameras (1 on scoreboard, 2 on each end of basketball court) and 2 GoPros as goal cams.

How are you using the goPro cameras in a switching environment? Can you bring them in as a net source over WiFi? How do you keep them powered up over the course of an entire game? I have the GP Hero 3 Black, and I don't know that it would stay powered up for an entire game if it's wifi was on.

Thanks.

We used gopro's in the past. We powered them with usb phone adapters and micro usb cables, worked great. Connected them over micro hdmi to capture cards. After some time we were no longer satisfied with the video quality and didn't like the fact they lack a screen. We bought legria/vixia mini x cams instead which work great.