logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
susie lavender  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2022 3:05:10 AM(UTC)
susie lavender

Groups: Registered
United States

I just upgraded my laptop with Windows 10 and my old recording format of MPEG2 has gone away, but according to forums, I should use FFMPEG with the MPEG2 Codec. That works but when recording to a flashdrive, VMix creates a text file in addition to the MPEG-2 file. Because I record many small videos at a time, I go back to the flashdrive after each video and rename it. But now I must delete all the text files. I have tried the MP4 format and it also creates a text file. WMV does not create a text file but I have concerns that a WMV file will not play on most DVD players. Is there a way to record on the FFMPEG without creating a text file?
doggy  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2022 3:41:07 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
Originally Posted by: susie lavender Go to Quoted Post
I just upgraded my laptop with Windows 10 and my old recording format of MPEG2 has gone away, but according to forums, I should use FFMPEG with the MPEG2 Codec. That works but when recording to a flashdrive, VMix creates a text file in addition to the MPEG-2 file. Because I record many small videos at a time, I go back to the flashdrive after each video and rename it. But now I must delete all the text files. I have tried the MP4 format and it also creates a text file. WMV does not create a text file but I have concerns that a WMV file will not play on most DVD players. Is there a way to record on the FFMPEG without creating a text file?

Those are log files
If you add a datetime (standard setting) you will not have to rename them each time you stop a recording to avoid overwriting
You can just delete the logfiles automatically by triggering a script to do so when you stop recording
nikosman88  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2022 6:05:21 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Originally Posted by: doggy Go to Quoted Post

Those are log files
If you add a datetime (standard setting) you will not have to rename them each time you stop a recording to avoid overwriting
You can just delete the logfiles automatically by triggering a script to do so when you stop recording

Right and for future reference if someone needs this kind of script can do like this
Code:

Dim myFile As String
'set your recording folder
Dim mydir as string = "C:\capture"
'set the extension of files you want to delete
For Each myFile In Directory.GetFiles(mydir, "*.log")
    File.Delete(myFile)
Next
susie lavender  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2023 9:10:38 AM(UTC)
susie lavender

United States

Thank you so much for your help. I am not tech saavy and I had never heard of scripting but I have tried to input the info you suggested but with no luck. I go to Settings and click Scripting and I have input probably 20 different formulas but all receive error messages. I have never done a formula and I am way over my head. If you have time, can you give me an acceptable script to use? I record to E drive and need to delete all .ts files. I apologize for needing additional help.
nikosman88  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2023 5:56:56 PM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Thank you so much for your help. I am not tech saavy and I had never heard of scripting but I have tried to input the info you suggested but with no luck. I go to Settings and click Scripting and I have input probably 20 different formulas but all receive error messages. I have never done a formula and I am way over my head. If you have time, can you give me an acceptable script to use? I record to E drive and need to delete all .ts files. I apologize for needing additional help.

Are you sure you want to delete .ts files? Because ts files is your recorded files and not the log of these files. If you see beside your recorded file (the one with bigger size and that it plays) a file for example "capture - 04 January 2023 - 09-47-25 AM.ts" with some kb of size this file is not a .ts file. Is .log file and if you go in windows explorer -->view-->check filename extensions you will see that the small size file named for example "capture - 04 January 2023 - 09-47-25 AM.ts" will now show to you as "capture - 04 January 2023 - 09-47-25 AM.ts.log" so you need to delete these log files and not the .ts file that contains your records
Now for the script you go to vmix-->settings-->scripting and you copy-paste the code below. In the third line it says Dim mydir as string = "C:\capture" so you have to change this to your folder for example E:\myrecords and save it. Then you save the script and assign it to a shortcut and you`re ready
Code:

Dim myFile As String
    File.Delete(myFile)
Next
susie lavender  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2023 5:49:14 AM(UTC)
susie lavender

United States

Thank you again - I have input the following in scripting and received an error message

Dim myFile As String
File.Delete(myFile)
Next

I changed line 3 to E and still received an error.

I also cannot paste anything on the scripting page - I am not allowed to right click so I have to type in the info. I will keep trying but I may need to just delete each of the txt files in the future.

I give the flashdrive immediately to my bosses after recording about 100 small videos of about 3 minutes each and the bosses must be able to navigate to the specific video they need. Having a txt file in addition to the MPEG2.ts files will only confuse everyone. I am willing to compensate someone who can help me achieve this. Again, I did not have this problem for the last 7 years with FFMEG in VMix in Windows 7 until I upgraded to Windows 10 now. I am very frustrated.
nikosman88  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2023 7:39:13 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Copy the script, go inside script page and use ctrl + v from keyboard to paste it and not need typing
The other way not scripting is before you get in the Flash disk to your bosses go to USB flash disk right click in empty space sort files by type and delete all .txt files. But no need for this because script should work ok. I was not using vmix with w7 so in w10 i work like this and no problem
Also what is the error message you receive?
susie lavender  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2023 9:10:29 AM(UTC)
susie lavender

United States

You have been very helpful and generous with your responses. I hope that you can tell me one more thing - It appears that when I record on the MP4 format, no txt file is created (just like the FFMPEG2 on Windows 7). Are you aware of any reason why I could not use MP4 for recording and bypass the scripting altogether? Is the recording quality as good and does MP4 recording require more disk space? Thank you.
nikosman88  
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2023 1:06:07 PM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Try and see what fits you better. Also search differences between mp4 and mpeg2. Mp4 is more compressed file compared to mpeg2