logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lamboht  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 28, 2022 4:31:41 PM(UTC)
lamboht

Groups: Registered
United States

I'm trying to find out which product best meets our needs. We are a church that uses presentation software to show content (slides, song lyrics, etc) to the congregation as well as live-streaming two video feeds for which we will use vMiix . Because we lease the space, we use portable equipment so we'd prefer a laptop over a tower PC.

The vMix reference page recommends an AJA IOx3 for a video capture device. It has 4 3G SDI bidirectional inputs/outputs and 1 HDMI I/O and 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports. It can display all the inputs on an external monitor and I believe all the inputs will show up within vMix.

The ATEM SDI Extreme iSO is similarly priced and it has 8 SDI inputs/outputs, two USB-C inputs, 2 Mic inputs and a headphone neck. You can also have a multi-view with the HDMI Out but within vMix, you only see one input at a time so if the ATEM has 8 camera sources, you will see only one at a time in vMix but can see all of them with an external monitor attached to the ATEM.

What am I missing ? The price is similar . ATEM Extreme has 8 SDI, the AJA has 4 SDI. The ATEM has 2 USB-C, the AJA has 2 Thunderbolt 3. Both support multi view. Both can monitor audio coming in. The ATEM has many similar functions as vMix (live-stream , PIP, transitions, etc). It SEEMS like the ATEM has a lot more features for a similar price. What am I missing that the AJA IOx3 is the recommended video capture device ?
nikosman88  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 28, 2022 11:50:44 PM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Aja is a capture card. Without pc and software mixer like vmix cannot work. In the other side atem is a complete video mixer that can work also standalone without the need of pc. With Aja you are 100% dependent from the power of your laptop. Atem doesnt have 8 sdi in/out but 4 sdi out and 2 usb-c out. Graphics are far away better more professional in vmix. But if you want to have 4 different outputs like Atem you cannot. You`ll have 2 external outputs (if you use 4k or pro vmix version and only 2 cameras in Aja) that will have delay so you cant use them as IMAG if you need to do this. If you output through from your graphic card it can be used as IMAG (not so big dealy from my experience) but because it is laptop i dont know if possible to have another one fullscreen output (4k or pro vmix version supports 2 fullscreen) for multiview
Atem without pc software for example cannot accept ndi sources for example from other pc for lyrics like vmix can do. In Atem for every source input from everywhere, you need a capture card that outputs from example other pc and input to Atem. So atem and vmix can be a good supplement to each other.
lamboht  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2022 12:53:51 AM(UTC)
lamboht

United States

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. I did want to clarify my intention on using these products. I plan on using the reference laptop (Asus TUF F17) along with vMix. I was next trying to decide whether or not to use the AJA IOX3 or the ATEM Extreme SDI ISO. The ATEM in this situation would only act as the video switcher except for NDI sources which would be handled by vMix (the presentation software uses NDI). We were not planning on using IMAG.

Which do you think would be a better companion to vMix using a laptop ? The ATEM Extreme or the AJA ?
dmwkr  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2022 2:02:45 AM(UTC)
dmwkr

Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 107 post(s)
Very, very briefly: The AJA device allows you to use the full power of vMix, including manipulation of all the inputs (like color correction, layers) and automation. With the ATEM you would get the possibility to get more cameras into your production, but with a far more complicated workflow. If you want to use vMix, get the AJA device, imo.
thanks 1 user thanked dmwkr for this useful post.
SportsNetUSA.net on 1/3/2023(UTC)
nikosman88  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2022 3:28:36 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Originally Posted by: dmwkr Go to Quoted Post
Very, very briefly: The AJA device allows you to use the full power of vMix, including manipulation of all the inputs (like color correction, layers) and automation. With the ATEM you would get the possibility to get more cameras into your production, but with a far more complicated workflow. If you want to use vMix, get the AJA device, imo.

I agree to this. With Atem you can do also colour correction inside it. But it will be more complicated if for example you need to do multilayer (atem supersource) with cameras and a pc source-ndi source that comes inside vmix directly..Or if you need a video background and overlay your cameras over it. With atem you need extra sdi input that will play this video from another machine. With Aja and vmix this scenario is very simple
lamboht  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2022 12:19:38 AM(UTC)
lamboht

United States

Is it correct to say that all the AJA inputs will appear in vMix at the same time but ATEM can only show one input at a time in vMix ?
nikosman88  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2022 6:39:45 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Yes. You can also see these videos "will vmix work" to see how atem and Aja connect to vmix