logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Widget  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 27, 2022 5:51:33 AM(UTC)
Widget

Groups: Registered
United States

I've been an OBS user for a number of years and found it to be "fine". It does the job, but I've always wanted something a bit more powerful and professional. I stumbled across vMix, downloaded and played with it, and am wondering how the heck I missed this for so long!

I've done two live stream shows with it so far, basically creating a replica of what I currently have in OBS to get my workflow setup, as well as to test and ensure vMix did everything I needed. Its been perfect, but I'm having some difficulty with one piece and am hoping for help. I've been all over YouTube and the forums, and just can't find a solid answer. I'd really love to have this nailed before I commit the money to buying if possible.

Use Case:

I do a live stream with a co-host via vMix call (used to use Zoom which I can't stand) and we also take audio calls from listeners via a Skype phone number, and sometimes via a cell phone during the show. I use a Rodecaster Pro 2 (RCP2) to manage all of my audio sources including Skype and cell phone.

Issue:

Getting vMix call, the RCP2, and vMix to work well together. I get echoes, or I can't hear the vMix call, or the vMix call can't hear the Skype call, etc. I know its all about getting mix minus set up, but for the life of me, I can't get it. I get my brain so wrapped around the axle and complicate things so much I can't seem to detangle what I need to do and how to set it up. OBS was able to do this simply and flawlessly, so I KNOW vMix can do it, I just can't figure it out or find info on how to do it.

What I've done so far:

Right now I have the ASIO drivers installed and have brought inputs for the Smart Pads, USB2, and combo jacks 1 + 2 into vMix. Using Windows default sound device for vMix so output goes to the RCP2 where I have monitors and headphones. I cannot seem to pull the vMix call audio out of the mix using the routing table in the RCP2 for some reason (probably user error) and now have a combo of muting the USB1 channel on the RCP2 to eliminate vMix call echo, but have the solo button enabled so I can hear the vMix caller. For the life of me, I cannot get the Skype call that comes in via the USB2 input on the RCP2 to work. All echoes or can't hear the vMix call. Work around has been to bring the Skype in via an NDI source, but there was issues with callers being able to hear understand us reliably. Still kept it connected to RCP2 so I could solo Skype while it was muted and hear the calls ring in. Basically the workflow is to hear the call, answer it, turn off the solo (so it doesn't echo while talking) and enable the audio in vmix. In my old world I could just answer and de-solo on the RCP2 and they would be live. Would really like to be able to do that again if possible. I know if I could get it figured out, adding the cell via Bluetooth would be gravy.

I know there's a lot of info here, but I wanted to provide the most info possible for anyone that might be able to help fix. I'm motivated enough to create a how-to video once this is figured out since the information is just nowhere to be found out there. The Rodecaster Pro 2 is a pretty powerful audio tool and seems a perfect companion for a vMix broadcast setup, I'm just amazed at the dearth of support I found for the combo out there (not a knock on the support here, the forums, knowledgebase, and videos are absolutely incredible - just RCP2 info seems lacking).

Thanks anyone who can help provide assistance!!

Widget  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 27, 2022 12:12:33 PM(UTC)
Widget

Groups: Registered
United States

So, there's something helpful about taking some time to reflect, then writing your problem out before re-attacking it.

I over-complicated my issue, confused myself, and made it much more difficult to solve than it needed to be. I solved the issue, and will provide a brief summary so that it may provide assistance to someone else struggling with an RCP2 in the future.

The Fix

• Effectively, in vMix, I setup the call and the audio channels I wanted the vMix call to hear on Bus A. I then sent Bus A audio to the vMix call
  • I set up the Skype machine to use USB2 on the RCP2 for its speakers and mic both in windows and in Skype
  • The in the RCP 2, I went to Outputs->Routing and went through every input and set it to mix minus (no custom routing required)

So simple. I'm not sure why I made it so complex, but I now have the workflow and control of the audio and video in my production exactly how I wanted it. Like I said, sometimes just writing it out helps you come to a solution.

Thanks for coming to my Ted talk.