logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mgrayeb  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 27, 2022 1:56:15 PM(UTC)
mgrayeb

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I haven't used vMix Social in a few years because the last time I tried to use it, it was only pulling in some (but not all) of the comments posted on the YouTube stream and on the Facebook page stream, and when I reached out to vMix Support at the time, if I remember correctly, I was told that the issue was on the social media platforms' side, not on the vMix side, and that it was likely due to limitations those platforms placed on the number of API calls the tool could make to the platform on any given day.

I'm going to be producing a live stream on a Facebook Page and YouTube channel as a volunteer for a nonprofit organization tomorrow night (as I've done for them many times in the past on those same destinations) and I've already scheduled the live event (with stream) on Facebook and the live stream on YouTube. But when I log into both of those destinations using vMix Social, in the Facebook section, when I look at the dropdown list of Facebook posts to choose from to capture audience comments, I'm seeing a list of many other posts, but not seeing the scheduled live event/stream post. Any insights on why that might be? Is a scheduled live Facebook event/stream not considered a post by vMix Social, for example? Or, do I need to wait for the stream to actually begin before the post will appear in the dropdown menu in vMix Social?

And when I log into the YouTube channel via vMix Social, I'm seeing the following popup message: vMix Social Request had insufficient authentication scopes. Source: YouTube Login

As I mentioned, I was able to log into YouTube to schedule the stream, and I seem to have been able to log into YouTube via vMix Social with the nonprofit organization's YouTube credentials, and I am an administrator (actually the creator of the channel), just as I am an administrator on the Facebook page for the organization.

Any insights on what I might be doing wrong or what other steps I need to take would be appreciated, as would any others' recent experiences using vMix Social with Facebook pages and/or YouTube channels with recent live streams.

Thanks.
admin  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 27, 2022 5:57:08 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4132 time(s) in 1486 post(s)
Hi,

First thing to check is you have the very latest version of vMix Social installed.
Social networks and their corresponding APIs are always constantly changing, so the latest is always needed for the best results.

Similarly, vMix 26 beta may even be a good idea as it has updated methods for vMix Social specifically for Facebook live streams.
(To try and capture comments that Facebook tends to exclude from their normal comments feeds)

In regards to Facebook Live, yes scheduled posts are not the same as the live stream, so you will need to update the settings in vMix Social
once you are live.

For YouTube Live, double check the various prompts during the login process in your browser. it requires you to specifically check boxes
to allow vMix Social access to your YouTube channel. If you do not tick these boxes, you will receive errors about lack of access or scopes.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 2 users thanked admin for this useful post.
eduardocfs on 11/27/2022(UTC), mgrayeb on 11/28/2022(UTC)
mgrayeb  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 28, 2022 1:07:51 AM(UTC)
mgrayeb

Thank you Martin! Very helpful and very much appreciated.

I updated from vMix 25.0.0.29 to vMix 25.0.0.34.

I went back through the login steps with YouTube and confirmed that I had checked the one box that was required of me to check on the "vMix wants to access your Google Account" page that appears: In the "Select what vMix can access" section of that page, I have checked the box next to "Manage your YouTube account" statements. The checkboxes next to the other two statements ("Associate you with your personal info on Google" and "See your primary Google Account email address" were already pre-checked and greyed out).

This time, in the vMix Social interface, I was able to see the scheduled live stream on YouTube and I was able to see the test comment I had posted below the scheduled live stream. Awesome!

Also, on Facebook, my scheduled live stream event shows up as the first item at the top of the list in the vMix Social dropdown menu of posts for Facebook as "UnnamedPost" (no spaces as indicated), and when I choose that "UnnamedPost," I am able to see a test comment that I posted on Facebook below the scheduled live stream. Awesome again!

I wonder why the dropdown menu shows "UnnamedPost" doesn't show the name of the scheduled event that appears above the scheduled event on Facebook (the title of the live broadcast to attract viewers) -- perhaps that's a limitation of the API as it pertains to scheduled Facebook Live events? -- but that's an easy workaround.

So I'll plan to use vMix Social tonight during my live stream and report back here on my experience in pulling in the comments and questions (if there are any) from Facebook and YouTube.

I'd rather not use the Beta in a live production even though I'm pretty confident that I would not have any significant issues in terms of any bugs or other unexpected behaviors.

Again, thank you very much for your timely and very helpful reply. Greatly appreciated!!!
mgrayeb  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 28, 2022 12:28:31 PM(UTC)
mgrayeb

Just a quick follow-up to share that vMix Social worked beautifully tonight in bringing in all of the audience comments on both the Facebook Page stream and the stream on the YouTube channel.

Thank you again Martin and vMix for this amazing software and for the amazing support.

I am very grateful.