logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rss  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 21, 2022 7:19:17 PM(UTC)
rss

Groups: Registered
Romania

Hello!

I purchased a Teltonika RUTX 12 router which I will initially use in the FAILOVER mode (cable and 1 sim 4g) so where I will have internet via cable this will be a priority but if it fails it will immediately switch to the internet mobile (4G LTE - Orange provider), I understood that the switch is made in less than 1 second, which I think is more than decent (I haven't tested it yet, I'll check exactly how it works). Where I won't have cable internet, I'll use 2 SIM.
Later, I will consider the option of bonding with Bondix (I don't know the prices for this service yet).

What I want is to build a mini kit, in a hard case (ABS), and must be light weight, mobile, autonomous if necessary, with two main characteristics:

1- PLUG AND PLAY for INSTALLATION OPTIMIZATION at events in any type of location.
I want everything installed, just open the box, point the antennas up, turn on the power, insert the WAN internet cable (if there is one in the location) and the LAN cable, and LIVE!.

2- FLEXIBILITY (where the 4G signal is the best).
I want this kit to be an UNINTERRUPTED INTERNET solution, whether the event takes place in a conference room where there is cable internet that reaches the work point, where the vMix station is, but also in case the 4G signal is very weak where the technical area is and must be taken near a window, on a terrace, balcony, an upper floor or outside in a place protected from the rain.
A challenge arises here, because in some situations (terrace, balcony, outside) there is no power (socket), or if there is and it is accidentally pulled from the socket (since it is not near me to see what happens) I want it to remain powered, to automatically switches to battery.

I found on YouTube something similar to what I want, but I haven't figured out how to best solve the power supply.
These (industrial) routers have an advantage, that they can be powered between 9-50v DC, which is a large and very convenient range.
I want to make a system with an adapter that powers both the router and a battery at the same time (it would be great if it could also charge) and if the power goes down, the power from the battery will remain.
I thought of using the v-mount type system (as in the attached pictures), with a well-known Sony BP-95w / Sony BP-150W battery.

But! The essential question is the following: if the BP-95w battery is connected mounted on the v-mount adapter from which the router is powered and the battery is powered by d-tap, if the power goes down, does the battery continue to power the router without interruption? without feeling the fall?

Honestly, about 10 years ago I used the system with BP-95, BP-150, BP-190 batteries for a long time, but I remember that I used the d-tap plug on the battery only to supply something additional to the camera, like the light bulb, I don't remember that the battery could also be powered/charged through that plug.
Has the d-tap changed to be in/out on newer models? (as it is in one of the pictures)

What do you think? Has anyone done something similar - DIY?
Does anyone know of a better power supply solution? Do you recommend another type?

Adapter BP v-mount.jpg (18kb) downloaded 1 time(s). Adapter with BP-150W.jpg (111kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
mavik  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 23, 2022 3:22:34 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
Nice idea, but you have to really think about it.

- Switch from LAN/WAN to mobile as a failover -> Your stream will be disconnected and needs manual reconnect.
- Antenna positioning will change from venue to venue. Some even have NO 4G reception
- In crowded places the nearest POP is highly utilized and won't provide the datarates you expect. -> Think about a far reaching antenna that can pick a POP farer away
- Look at some powerbanks to provide DC out for laptops.
- Load Balancing will not work with streaming. You need real bonding (split the datastream) to aggregate or create an unbreakable connection.

There are devices already existing for this task. They are not the cheapest but worth the money. Think about it twice to build it on your own. If you are no IT pro and no coder leave it. It will safe you time, money and frustration.
thanks 3 users thanked mavik for this useful post.
SportsNetUSA.net on 11/24/2022(UTC), rss on 11/28/2022(UTC), mjgraves on 12/10/2022(UTC)
Morki  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 23, 2022 9:37:53 PM(UTC)
Morki

Germany

We use Bondix and also offer server operation (incl. licenses) in Germany. I can highly recommend it. It is absolutely stable and reliable, we unplugged cables and antennas during our testing, pulled SIM cards from the running router and also let prepaid SIMs run out of data. SRT and RTMP streams were running without problems as long as one of the connections was up. Maximum total throughput with Bondix is around 150 Mbit (it is limited by the RUTX12 CPU capabilities).

Setting up Bondix on the router itself is a matter of minutes. Just install the plugin, then enter tunnel name, password, master host and backup host. It will use all the available uplinks. We always have two SIMs active (different providers!) and whatever DSL/fiber is available on site. If you plug in a local uplink it gets automatically added to the Tunnel on the fly. You can also connect your RUTX to a local Wifi at the venue and use that as an additional channel. Would not recommend that, but it is possible...

We have most of our RUTX12 mounted in small racks with 12V UPS systems, that works great. You probably have to make the adapter cable yourself, that plug needed for the RUTX 12 is a MOLEX Micro-Fit 3.0 2x2, part number 43025-0400. You also need the crimp terminals:
https://www.molex.com/mo...rimp_housings/0430250400
https://www.molex.com/mo...imp_terminals/0430300007

I would suggest getting external antennas, some mount and good 10m antenna cables in case you have to place them outside in bad weather.

You can also power the RUTX12 via passive POE, so you could prepare a 50m Dual-LAN cable for WAN+LAN1, place your router somewhere and just run that cable loom and use a POE injector on the other side. Be careful: only LAN1 allows for POE-IN, I'm not sure if it would damage the other ports (read the manual! Use color coding on the cables and devices).
rss  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 28, 2022 9:07:56 PM(UTC)
rss

Romania

Originally Posted by: mavik Go to Quoted Post
Nice idea, but you have to really think about it.

- Switch from LAN/WAN to mobile as a failover -> Your stream will be disconnected and needs manual reconnect.
- Antenna positioning will change from venue to venue. Some even have NO 4G reception
- In crowded places the nearest POP is highly utilized and won't provide the datarates you expect. -> Think about a far reaching antenna that can pick a POP farer away
- Look at some powerbanks to provide DC out for laptops.
- Load Balancing will not work with streaming. You need real bonding (split the datastream) to aggregate or create an unbreakable connection.

There are devices already existing for this task. They are not the cheapest but worth the money. Think about it twice to build it on your own. If you are no IT pro and no coder leave it. It will safe you time, money and frustration.

Thank you very much for all information and suggestions!
I still haven't tested how failover works on Teltonika rutx 12 because I didn't have time, I had some big events and they consumed a lot of my time. I understood that it switches in less than 1 second. I'm going to test exactly how it goes.
In general, I have a good cable connection in some locations, but the 4G version will only be in case of emergency, as a compromise.
It is very true that if the 4G signal is not stable or in the crowd the venue will keep changing, anyway I am interested in starting to use Bondix at the beginning of the year.
Powerbanks to provide DC out for laptops, I didn't know about them, thank you for telling me, I just think that the accumulators from the BP range have more reliability over time and I think they support more charging cycles.
g7pfv  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 9, 2022 6:42:36 AM(UTC)
g7pfv

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Have a look at the Peplink UBR LTE, I use 2 sims and a 4g mifi device supplying Wan connection to the unit - bonded together using Speedfusion.

I stream from literally the middle of nowhere and its been rock solid.

Connection from vmix machine either via WIFI or cat5

I also have a LiveU Solo - never had any issue streaming since I got them.

Prior to this a reliable connection over one 4g connection was stressful.