logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Duff TV  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 3, 2014 7:44:12 AM(UTC)
Duff TV

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Is it possible to delete the preview window and then have 2 cameras screens side by side with the camera that's active highlighed with a RED thick line right round the perimeter of the screen?

I am running 2X 27'' monitors so this set up would be great. All cameras on the left display and the output on the right display.
I do post multi camera editing in Edius and this set up works a treat.

I am not a fan of looking at small windows and find it very uninspiring and tiring.

Bigger is better in my view.

Last night we filming basketball so it was pretty well cam 1, cam 2, cam 1 cam 2 and then the odd replay.
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 3, 2014 6:04:22 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Duff TV

Umm, if you basically only have 2 cameras that you are switching between, are the preview and program windows not big enough?
I get that they alternate, which can be distracting compared to simple multi-cam edits in Edius or Premier Pro, but vMix is more like a traditional control room with multiple input capabilities that need to be monitored in a structured way. I don't think that should be messed with too much.
What you are asking for is a neat idea and may work great for simple 2 camera productions, but I suggest you throw in a few more cameras and inputs and you will quickly realize why vMix is set up the way it is.
Typically for me, in a two camera sports set-up, my main camera is wide for a full view of the play, and my second camera is tight or Medium CU that is primarily for replays and cut aways during play interruptions.
I use shortcut keys to alternate between cameras so I am not distracted by the switch from preview to program, I know I want my main camera 75% of the time, so that's the key I usually go to 75% of the time.

Ice
Duff TV  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 3, 2014 6:57:06 PM(UTC)
Duff TV

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Sounds like we may be doing similar work and yes I think thats what threw me on Saturday night just gone.

We did a 2 cam shoot and having the cameras switch on the screen was very confusing.

I think tailoring the layout of the screens that are in front of you is a must.

Hate to say it but I think ... blaster may have the edge in this area at present.

ask  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2014 3:00:59 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Martin, You can also run a multiview on your second monitor.....also look at adjusting the preview window sizes in the Settings menu.
Bardos  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2014 6:25:57 AM(UTC)
Bardos

Groups:
Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Duff TV wrote:

Hate to say it but I think ... blaster may have the edge in this area at present.

Yes I think you are correct...for two cameras only, why is there a "Preview" window?.....I asked this question a while ago....with vidblaster, I can set up without the Preview and just switch ..it looks great, and works better to me, and even though there is no 'Preview' window, I can still use the transitions, as there are two (2) buttons at the bottom of the inputs...(cut / transition)....and, vidblaster give me the ability to arrange the desktop to suit my preference with its floating windows....so I can place all my cameras anywhere, and my players underneath next to, or even on another screen if I have multiple monitors....but that is all it has on vMix....vMix works the best of ALL I have used...just that I am stuck with the layout, and no control panel ( switcher with "T" bar)....
Maximus  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2014 11:07:16 AM(UTC)
Maximus

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
For what it is worth, even for a 2 camera shoot, I prefer the layout as is. I work with everything from a single camera to 6 cameras, plus playback, Graphics, overlays. Having a preview with 2 cameras is not a problem for me and I prefer stuff to be standard. A preview monitor for me is an absolute must.

My 2 cents
Maximus
Bardos  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2014 12:26:32 PM(UTC)
Bardos

Groups:
Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
That is why some software offer options....for the individual user to decide what works better for them....I can switch directly to 'Program' without having to send to 'Preview' first but if it not necessary, why have it.....the preference would be a good thing to have.... A.S.D. etc, cuts directly to the corresponding input, and places it directly to the 'Program'....Q.W.E..etc, sends the corresponding input to the 'Preview'....I use it from time to time....
tdurhamjr  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2014 1:11:58 PM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Maximus wrote:
For what it is worth, even for a 2 camera shoot, I prefer the layout as is. I work with everything from a single camera to 6 cameras, plus playback, Graphics, overlays. Having a preview with 2 cameras is not a problem for me and I prefer stuff to be standard. A preview monitor for me is an absolute must.

My 2 cents
Maximus

I 100% agree! I use from 2 to 4 cameras, and about to add more. I have used Xsplit and Wirecast Pro. vMix is hands down, the only way to go and I use the standard layout (preview on left and live on right) with inputs at the bottom. I have a 32" monitor. It want everything on one monitor and would find it problematic to have other views on a different screen. I also found that using shortcut keys is the only way to go in switching the views in and out. Shortcut keys with additional triggers is handled VERY well in vmix.
Timi