logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
VideoE  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 7, 2022 5:50:55 AM(UTC)
VideoE

Groups: Registered
United States

I got a great deal on a Legion 7i, 12900hx CPU and a 3080ti GPU for a very nice price (display model) assuming any recent, top tier laptop would have resizable BAR but apparently this is not so. A big part of the draw was that it had 2 TB4 ports. Just for vMix and some 3D projects. It's very fast so far but where would the lack of resizable bar limit me? Number of inputs/outputs, number of live inputs, movie clips NDI inputs, etc? Or all of the above? Is the performance loss significant enough to return the laptop? Currently I don't have specific projects to gauge against, so a general sense of the limitations is what I'm looking for.

FWIW, I created a quick project running at 59.94p with a DecklinkDuo2 card, 2 SDI 1920 cameras in and a key and fill out to an ATEM via TB4. 64 Inputs overall; 3 vMix Calls, 4 NDI's , 3 w Desktop Capture and 1 from a PTZ camera, 12 movies, 36 images as separate inputs, 2 mix's, 1 output, 3 multi layer builds, a title, a mic and a powerpoint.

For outs I had both Fullscreens, PGM and MV, 1 External Out to ATEM, Out 1 to Record and Stream, Out 2 to Key/Fill, Out 3 to VMixCall and Out 4 via NDI ran a separate movie on a loop from what I was sending via PGM. ASide from bothe External and Stream running, also Recording 1PGM (just 1 record) and my 2 SDI ins recording via MultiCorder. All this simultaneously.

Rendertime mostly hovering around 8-12ms, GPU mem at 20%, CPU around 0-3% and Total around 1-5%.

With the exception of dropped frames from Desktop Capture and the NDI PTZ input, (also coming in via SDI), no dropped frames.
WaltG12  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 9, 2022 3:32:34 AM(UTC)
WaltG12

United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
This is the vMix video on Resizable BAR:

Unless something's changed or I'm misunderstanding, it doesn't sound like you will see much (if any) benefit until you max out the 256 MB in monitored GPU memory, as it serves to just increase that limit.

Since you're looking at around 20% of that amount, it doesn't really sound like you need Resizable BAR.
thanks 1 user thanked WaltG12 for this useful post.
mjgraves on 11/9/2022(UTC)
VideoE  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 9, 2022 6:42:45 AM(UTC)
VideoE

United States

WaltG12, thanks for the perspective.I had seen the video a few weeks before and this time watched and listened more closely. Will continue to stress test but at this point, I might let resizable BAR go. Still, on this level of gaming laptop, not including this option (and according to insiders it isn't in future plans) just is weird.
VideoE  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 22, 2022 4:12:52 PM(UTC)
VideoE

United States

No reference to 'Resizable Bar' in NVidia control panel>system info. And what is your link connecting to?