logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JB2022  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 4, 2022 12:25:52 AM(UTC)
JB2022

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello,

I've been trying to get around the issue with vMix requiring a higher buffer for the purposes of streaming live music production. A close to real-time buffer is required to play guitar in the DAW so I have come up with the following (Short of building a 2nd computer just for hosting vMix).

Currently setup as follows on the same PC:
vMix - USB Audio Interface set as Master/headphone
- Used for: Mic in, hearing callers, line In from 2nd interface for DAW Output (buffer at 1024)

DAW - Thunderbolt 3 Audio Interface set for use with DAW
- Used for: GTR in, DAW Out (Real-time buffer)

Everything seems to be stable so far, but I noticed in the add audio input dropdowns that vMix provided the inputs from the TB3 interface when I selected the USB interface to add audio input for the mic. I went ahead and closed the daw and shut off the TB3 interface, which then allowed vMix to show the correct inputs to choose from. Turned on TB3 interface and loaded DAW and everything 'seems' to be working.

My question is, has anyone ever attempted this before?
Would there be any potential issues that you can think of?

Thanks!
mtone  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 4, 2022 11:04:58 AM(UTC)
mtone

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
I havent tried it but my guess is it should work.. like you alluded, id probably turn USB interface on and open vMix and get all its I/O established first.. then open the DAW and the TB interface second.. with the TB interface initially turned off it *should* prevent vMIx having any control over its buffer settings..

best bet is to test first.. if you are doing guitar lessons id probably mention at the start you are trialing setup options also.. in order to "buffer" expectations...