logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
steelman20  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 7, 2022 5:03:25 AM(UTC)
steelman20

Groups: Registered
United States

Recently while chasing audio malfunctions, I noticed that my Focusrite 2i2 buffer size was *960*. I lowered it to 256. After I started vMix I rechecked it and it was back to *960*. Yes with the asterisks. I don't know that the 960 settings are causing my random dropouts, that only started after I replaced a Focusrite SOLO with the 2i2. vMix also changes the SOLO buffer to *960* regardless of a previous setting.

Thoughts
mtone  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 7, 2022 10:13:19 AM(UTC)
mtone

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
I recall them saying vMix needs a larger buffer in order to handle the large amount of data processing, so they fix it at 960 which is supposed to be a compromise between buffer size without too much latency.. the problem i think with 960 is its a non standard settings and if a company has written or optimized their audio drivers expecting standard values such as 512 or 1024 then it wouldnt be outside realm of possibility for 960 to be a source of problems.. there is a fair amount of people who report dropouts and glitches with audio in vMix which begs the question is it related ?

no other software ive seen uses 960, also the user cant set this value manually and it begs the question why do some audio interfaces show * when vMix forces this setting ? ive also seen documentation for audio interfaces which implies values other than 512, 768 or 1024 are not supported.. IMO why not just use 1024 ? its virtually no different latency wise and its a standard value which would remove any potential for weird driver incompatibility.. if they dont want to use 1024 by default they should add 1024 as an option as it may help troubleshoot problems..

https://forums.vmix.com/...O-Buffer-Setting-Control
thanks 2 users thanked mtone for this useful post.
SportsNetUSA.net on 10/7/2022(UTC), raugert on 10/7/2022(UTC)
steelman20  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 7, 2022 11:18:22 PM(UTC)
steelman20

United States

In short 3-minute test I lowered the buffer to 512 after opening vMix. the recorded stream seemed to work well but it wasn't an hour-and-a-half church service. Sunday I will raise the buffer to 1024 and post the results. Thank you for your input