logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Moosa  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2022 6:39:24 PM(UTC)
Moosa

Groups: Registered

Hi vMix Community :)

Just needed some guidance before pulling the trigger on a new PC build to support up to four 4K cameras via the network/NDI.

Do I need to go all out on the CPU and grab myself a Intel Core i9 10980XE or can I get away with the Intel Core i9 12900K which is 16 code/24 threads?

Or is AMD a good option as well? Or am I looking at this wrong...

Considering I'm not using a capture card and I will have a 3080 Ti do I need extra PCIe express lanes?

Cheers,
Matt
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2022 9:11:24 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Moosa

If you are going with 4K NDI, then you will want the fastest CPU with the most cores.
I do not like the 12th Gen CPUs because their "efficient" cores have a base clock speed slower than vMix's recommendation of 3.0 Ghz or faster and only have one thread per core, which is of no benefit to vMix and should not even be considered when evaluating CPUs for use with vMix.
As such, the i9-12900K only has 8 "performance" cores, which is probably not enough to handle four 4K NDI cameras.

Just my 2 cents.

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
Moosa on 9/29/2022(UTC)
Moosa  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2022 1:40:49 PM(UTC)
Moosa

I see thanks for the info!

What would you recommend then for 4 x 4K NDI cameras, I guess the Intel Core i9 10900X will do the trick as it's the recommended CPU for what I'm after and easier to get compared to the 9900X.

Also for the motherboards, is it just me or are the X299 boards hard to come by? I found this MB - Asus Prime X299-A II LGA 2066 ATX Motherboard which was the cheapest and available, will that do the trick?

Also is there no other similarly priced alternative to achieving the same thing but with components that are more main stream/available?
roverradio  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 4, 2022 3:44:59 AM(UTC)
roverradio

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The info above is not accurate. We have 10 4K Birddog P400's with Full NDI going into an i9-12900K system no sweat, plus additional 4K NDI inputs (desktop captures, Premiere, etc.) and bunch of NDI outputs. Z690 motherboard with Resizable Bar enabled with an RTX A6000 (but something like a 3080 may be fine for you).

Your biggest issue by far will be bandwidth - you're going to need at least a 10Gbit connection going to that machine and a switch that handles that of course. We have 25Gbps fiber switch/NIC's. You could get by with a switch that has 1 Gb ethernet ports for the cameras, as long as that switch has at least 1 10Gb SFP+ port to a fiber NIC on the PC.

There are some other considerations, like your GPU, but it definitely is possible. And we could push it much further than what we're doing now.
thanks 1 user thanked roverradio for this useful post.
Moosa on 10/4/2022(UTC)