logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jeremyjo  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 4:47:22 PM(UTC)
Jeremyjo

Groups: Registered
Man

We've been using vMix for several years now - since version 8 I believe.

We have been upgrading and updating systems over the last year and The format we've been recording in wasn't very conducive to editing and playback on a large screen.

I bought a 512G SSD to record at higher quality AVI 4:2:2, but when we try to record two services onto the drive it just isn't large enough and we've lost parts of the recording. I can't really see buying a 1T drive unless there is no other choice.

I see mention of ProRes and other codecs with some compression but better quality. Is there a way to keep high quality, but editable recordings that I can fit two 1.5 hr sermons in 512Gig and edit after? I'm only using the SSD for fast record. I can archive after editing to a larger drive or a NAS drive, but I can't afford to run out of space during recording and I can't really take a drop in quality.

What are your recommended settings for HD record with high quality and editable?

Thank you.

Jeremy
tdurhamjr  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 5:49:28 PM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Jeremy,
I am working on ordering stuff to build a new vMix PC and I am wanting to record 2 or 3 cameras plus save video delay files. My plan as of today was to have 4 250gb SSD in a raid10 config. I did not do any math but I was thinking that if my Sony Camcorder can record a 4 hour football game in HD (1080p) on a 64gb card, then surely a 256GB Raid10 config (SSD) setup would be sufficient. Now after reading your post I do not know about that. I was now thinking along the same lines as you (recording to SSD's for speed) the have two (1 or 2TB 7200 HDD drives to move stuff off SSD's to these. I also have more large drives in my office for storage.

The video quality of the 1080p from my Sony HDR CX900 is, in my opinion, very good. This is H.264 in MP4 container. I don't have the file with me but the 4 hour game fit on a 64GB SD card. Since I have not used vMix for any recording purposes so I need to make sure I get it right before ordering the drives this week. Hopefully some folks can share more about the codec that is being used and space requirements, etc.

Tim