logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
engelschall  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 27, 2022 9:21:26 AM(UTC)
engelschall

Groups: Registered
Germany

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 17 post(s)
vMix is a really awesome video mixing application I personally like very much. Nevertheless, it has numerous known and nasty limitations -- especially in comparison against OBS Studio and its countless extension plugin possibilities. Even if most of those vMix limitations are "by design" according to StudioCoast's responses, all the time they really cause lots of headaches when creating complex vMix presets for new events. For some of the limitations some weak or strong workarounds exist, for others you just have to cope with their "by design" rationale. Where workarounds are possible with the help of some scripting, I share my scripting solutions with you under https://github.com/rse/vmix-scripts/

During the last months I had to create various comprehensive vMix presets for different types of events: physical PTZ based productions, green-screen virtual-PTZ based productions, full remote conference productions, etc. I then regularly ran into a wall because of those limitations and the fact that I was not able to remember them all the time myself. So, I finally started to document those limitations for my own purposes to have them at hand when creating vMix presets and no longer have to stumble over them again and again.

For those of you crafting comprehensive vMix presets yourself, I also share with you the documented limitations under https://github.com/rse/vmix-issues