logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
basket_  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2022 9:39:02 AM(UTC)
basket_

Groups: Registered
United States

We recently purchased a new laptop for streaming (MSI GS77) and despite the upgrade, are having trouble seeing NDI sources within vMix. The sources show up, but only display as a static black field. Interestingly, in the source select window, the previews for these sources show thumbnails that are accurate to these sources. In a simple test, I'd point the camera at something, open the source select window, see an accurate camera frame as a thumbnail, select it, and see no further image.

So far, I’ve tested two separate NDI sources: the NDI HX Camera app from a Pixel 5A, and the NDI output of vMix running on our old machine. Across these platforms, the old machine sees the camera, both in vMix and NDI Tools Studio Monitor. The new laptop sees the feeds fine in Studio Monitor, but while I can select the correctly-named sources in vMix, nothing but a black screen. The new machine is able to send an NDI output to the old one, as well.

Things I’ve tried after googling:

-Everything in the knowledgebase troubleshooting article for this issue

-Specifying IP address in NDI Access Manager (per this thread)

-Uninstalling NDI tools (per this thread)

-Reinstalling NDI Tools 4.6 (shockingly, didn’t help)

The only other notable difference at the moment is that our newer machine is on Windows 11 Pro, and the old one is on Windows 10 Pro. I hadn’t seen anything about W11P incompatibility with NDI or anything, so not sure.

So far, I’m at a loss. Thanks in advance for your help!
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2022 9:09:46 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ basket_

Can you verify that vMix is using a dedicated NVIDIA GPU and not the integrated graphics?
Settings ===> Performance

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
basket_ on 8/12/2022(UTC)
basket_  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2022 7:52:57 AM(UTC)
basket_

United States

That was exactly it. For any future googlers, I followed these steps.

One interesting thing I'm curious about, however, is that our older machine only had an integrated graphics card, but was still able to receive and send NDI signals no problem. My understanding is that non-HX signals encode/decode on the CPU in most cases, and to my knowledge, the vmix output from the old machine was full NDI. So why would vMix still be unable to decode that signal?

Sorry, this is a little in the weeds, and for all intents and purposes, the issue is resolved, but I'm trying to further my understanding of how exactly vMix handles NDI ins and outs to optimize our setup.

Thanks!