logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tdurhamjr  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2014 10:02:58 AM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
I want to build a new PC that will have at least 3 PCI x-16 slots with I7-4790k. 2 for running double Decklink Quad cards and one for a 770 graphics card. Does anyone know if there would be any problems with running 2 DQ cards? Anyone done this? Hoping for some feedback before I pull the trigger :) I need to capture 6 cameras so new system would be for streaming and old would be for recording.

Tim
sinc747  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2014 11:10:07 AM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 195 time(s) in 161 post(s)
Tim,

I built two systems for Nick earlier this year that had 2 quads in each system. No problems. Very sweet, actually.
tdurhamjr  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2014 11:31:37 AM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

sinc747 wrote:
Tim,

I built two systems for Nick earlier this year that had 2 quads in each system. No problems. Very sweet, actually.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. Do you mind sharing some of the specs? I was looking at the i7-5820k on the Asus-X99-Deluxe board (that will give me 28 lanes). I want to build enough but I don't want to overbuild as I will not use this PC for anything other than streaming.
tdurhamjr  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2014 1:12:46 PM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Tom I posted another question about using multicorder as I have not done that but need to in the near future. I will do some testing myself but If I go with the cpu and board I referenced above, do you think there would be any issues if I was recording 4 camera views plus the vMix output simultaneous? Would writing to separate SSD drives be of any value?

I am just wondering how much effect multicorder has on the system performance.

Tim
pinkimp  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2014 7:37:54 PM(UTC)
pinkimp

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
28 lanes will only allow for 3 x PCI-e 8x.

I would strongly suggest getting the i7-5930K with 40 lane support so you can do 16/16/8 with the GFX in the 8 slot.

I have the X99 Deluxe with that CPU. Saying that, I haven't tested 2 Decklinks in this machine, only the one 4K.

In our studio we use a 4K Extreme and a Decklink Quad, however we ran into problems with PCIe bandwidth (the image coming in at 1080p59.94 was breaking up) and so we went with a Dual-Xeon for that instead.

However, that was initially tested with an i7 28 lane and therefore (depending on your input resolution) you may run into problems with only 28 lanes. I would be prepared to start with the 5930K and potentially budget for Xeons at worst case.

Saying that, storage speed is important. If you're not looking at RAID, at least get the new M.2 SSD's (which the X99 supports perfectly).
tdurhamjr  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2014 9:57:15 PM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

pinkimp wrote:
28 lanes will only allow for 3 x PCI-e 8x.

I would strongly suggest getting the i7-5930K with 40 lane support so you can do 16/16/8 with the GFX in the 8 slot.

I have the X99 Deluxe with that CPU. Saying that, I haven't tested 2 Decklinks in this machine, only the one 4K.

In our studio we use a 4K Extreme and a Decklink Quad, however we ran into problems with PCIe bandwidth (the image coming in at 1080p59.94 was breaking up) and so we went with a Dual-Xeon for that instead.

However, that was initially tested with an i7 28 lane and therefore (depending on your input resolution) you may run into problems with only 28 lanes. I would be prepared to start with the 5930K and potentially budget for Xeons at worst case.

Saying that, storage speed is important. If you're not looking at RAID, at least get the new M.2 SSD's (which the X99 supports perfectly).

Thanks for the info. The prices all seem to be about the same for the i7-5930k. I was thinking that the Decklink Quad was only using 4 lanes. I did not realize it was 4 lanes per channel (total of 16) per card.

So do the Video Cards (ie GTX 770) only use 8 lanes even though they are a PCI-e X16 card? I looked all online and could not find any info.

Tim
Nick Davidson  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2014 10:52:28 PM(UTC)
Nick Davidson

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
We have (2) PCs. Each has two Decklink Quads and an Intensity pro. All works well. Occasionally we need to restart vMIx before all inputs are recognized but once we have them all up, they function great.

Sorry, I missed Tom Sinclair's post above. Yes, he built our machines and they run strong!!!
thomas  
#8 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2014 8:37:36 AM(UTC)
thomas

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I`m running dual decklink Quad with i7 4930K and P9X79 Motherboard. But I`m having issues.. Occasionally (and it seems very random), the computer shuts down. The screen goes blank and I have to restart.

I had the P9X79 E-WS installed, but changed to the P9X79 the other day. Hoping the stability would improve. Unfortonately it does not..

If anyone have any idea what can be the reason I`d be very grateful!

The main specs are
i7 4930k
16 GB RAM
1 Main SSD
2x Secondary SSDs
Geforce 780TI
tdurhamjr  
#9 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2014 10:22:17 AM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Nick Davidson wrote:
We have (2) PCs. Each has two Decklink Quads and an Intensity pro. All works well. Occasionally we need to restart vMIx before all inputs are recognized but once we have them all up, they function great.

Sorry, I missed Tom Sinclair's post above. Yes, he built our machines and they run strong!!!

Nick, do you or Tom mind sharing the specs on your 2 builds? For sure interested in MOBO, processor, and drive config. Any insight will be greatly appreciated :)

Also, do you stream and record on the same machine? I want to find out if anyone has any issues in doing this, limitations, etc.

Thanks!
Tim
jkmakela  
#10 Posted : Friday, January 9, 2015 6:00:13 AM(UTC)
jkmakela

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
We use P9X79 E-WS and Matrox VS4 and have had some shut downs also. I am not sure if it is motherboard issue.
Ittaidv  
#11 Posted : Friday, January 9, 2015 7:11:59 AM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
It's strange that people run into problems. If you look at the livestream.com machines, they use a 40-lane cpu with 4 quad cards + 1 decklink studio installed. Check out the pdf of their hardware here: http://cdn.livestream.co...stream-studio-hd1710.pdf

Specs:

CPU Intel "Sandy Bridge-E" Core i7 3930K 3.2 GHz Six-Core
processor, 12MB L3 cache, 130W, Socket LGA 2011

Graphics Card ATI Firepro™ 2460 Multi-View Professional Graphics
PCI Express 2.0 Graphics card quad output

Storage Dual quick-time front removable (2) x WD Red 1TB/7200 RM ISO
recording drives, mid-plane, access door, receiver mounting
kits. 1 internal fix mounted WD Red 1TB/7200 RM ISO hard drive
& 1 internal fix mounted 120GB SSD OS / application drive.

RAM 64 GB 8 total DDR3 1600Mhz Non-ECC
(16GB X 4 Dimm configuration)

The motherboard looks like it's this one:

ASUS P9X79 WS LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 SSI CEB Intel Motherboard with USB BIOS

This means they use 17 inputs/outputs and are still running stable.