logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
engelschall  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 26, 2022 10:10:24 AM(UTC)
engelschall

Groups: Registered
Germany

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I've a setup of four physical cams (BirdDog P400) and a tally light system (FlexTally). The setup is used for both greenscreen-based and regular productions. For the regular productions the cam inputs are directly used as layers in scene inputs. For the greenscreen-based productions I've to apply a chroma-key. In order to now having to re-configure (enable/disable the chroma-key filter) on the cam inputs, I use four corresponding "Virtual Inputs" of the four cam inputs and permanently apply the chroma-key filter there (other types of inputs cannot be used because the chroma-key filter is applied to the Main layer only). For the greenscreen-based productions the scene inputs just have to use the chroma-key'ed virtual inputs on their layers. This works just fine.

Unfortunately, for greenscreen-based productions the tally lights are dead. Because FlexTally requires that vMix tells it whenever the four physical cams are in Preview or Output. But the intermediate "Virtual Inputs" seem to break the transitive sequence of Tally information. When I telnet(1) to the vMix API and do a "SUBSCRIBE TALLY" I see that the target scenes are flagged and also the "Virtual Inputs", but the physical cam inputs are never flagged.

So, it seems like vMix accidentally or intentionally breaks/stops the transitive Tally information sequence on "Virtual Inputs". Unfortunately, this is the only way to apply a chroma-key without changing the original physical cam inputs all the time. At least as for as I know. As "Virtual Inputs" really show on ther main layer the content of the source input, I see no reason why the Tally information should not be passed through to the source inputs.
engelschall  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2022 9:27:54 PM(UTC)
engelschall

Germany

As Heath Barker from vMix told me now, the behavior of vMix is intentional. To quote him: "One of the main reasons for this functionality is for scenarios like this: A camera shot that has 2 guests and two virtual inputs (one virtual Input zoomed into guest 1 and the second zoomed into guest 2). Individual tally lights can be used on these virtual inputs to tell each guest who is in shot/preview." So, it is all about individual tally light support. That's just fine. One just has to keep this intention of vMix into account when using Virtual Inputs.

Heath also told me a workaround for situations like our one: "Add the original camera Input (the one with tally) as a layer to your virtual Input and then making it non-visible by unticking that layer. This will then allow your tally to follow the 'hidden' original camera input." I've now used exactly this workaround for my problem and it resolves the problem just fine. So, whenever want tally light information to pass-through virtual inputs, ensure that the source input of the virtual input is actually on a hidden layer of the virtual input.
engelschall  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2022 9:29:24 PM(UTC)
engelschall

Germany

SITUATION CLARIFIED -- There is no need to take care of this request in forthcoming vMix versions.